Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Kings The Outsider

• 04-06-2018 9:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭

About a third of the way in. After a few misfires King is back on form. Riveting.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭CWF

Heckler wrote: »
    About a third of the way in. After a few misfires King is back on form. Riveting.

Sounds good. Might pick it up. I've never read any of his books would you believe, what would be your top 5 King books in order of preference? Thanks.

Anyone? Started reading the shining today and loving it so far

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Off the top of my head I'd say

It
    The Stand
    Salems Lot
    Misery
    The Shining

Not including The Dark Tower Series

Curious about the new book, reviews seem to be good.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Off the top of my head I'd say

It
    The Stand
    Salems Lot
    Misery
    The Shining

Not including The Dark Tower Series

Curious about the new book, reviews seem to be good.

What would you recommended out of the dark tower series?

CWF wrote: »
    What would you recommended out of the dark tower series?

It's chronological so start with book 1, the gunslinger. It's a great series (imo), though does go off the rails a little after book 4. Also it's fantasy rather than horror. It's a hell of a commitment though, 7 books in all (plus an 8th added retrospectively, can be considered somewhat optional) and the last few are not small books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭smurf492

Dark half and dead zone... Big king fan so do yourself a favour and forget dark tower for a while, go with the castle rock books and the derry books

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

You won't go far wrong with any of his short story collections.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Hmm... must check out The Outsider.

Top 5 is a tough one.

I really loved 11.22.63 and Under the Dome.
    I also enjoyed Misery, Carrie and The Shining- which is completely different from the film of course!

Posy wrote: »
    Hmm... must check out The Outsider.

Top 5 is a tough one.

I really loved 11.22.63 and Under the Dome.
    I also enjoyed Misery, Carrie and The Shining- which is completely different from the film of course!

Finished The Shining yesterday, enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Irishder

about half way through this really enjoying it

• Advertisement

Irishder wrote: »
    Have you read his other books? How would it compare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

I am an on off king fan. I have a version of IT with 1200 pages and I am on page 900. I am having trouble going back to it. I much prefer the shorter reads. I should go back and finish it obviously but did anyone else have this problem?
    For he guy looking to read some. I recommend The Shining, 11.22.63, Night Shift(Short Stories), Salem's Lot. I am not sure I have read others. I have the Stand on myself. Will read it sometime. But I generally try to stick to shorter fiction. 300 pages or so. King's short stories are really excellent. Ah Also check out Full Dark, No Stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Irishder

CWF wrote: »
    Irishder wrote: »
    Have you read his other books? How would it compare
    Yeah read misery, the stand, the mist (short story). Its kind of different in a strange way. I think it lost its way a bit in the 3rd quarter but i got back into it by the end. Def recommend it. Looking for a new book now. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Bout a third of the way through IT now and enjoying it. Tried reading it before and just couldn't get into it.
    Big fan of him, read most of his renowned work including the 7 dark tower books.
    If I could only choose 1 from his whole collection though it would have to be The Stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I enjoyed Pet Sematary and would recommend it.

I haven't tried any of his recent efforts but I may give The Outsider a look. I saw Sleeping Beauties in the library a few months back but I didn't go for it in the end. Anyone read that one?

Sleeping Beauties is decent but nothing amazing. Bloody long too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,916 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I refuse to read The Outsider because of
    the Mr. Mercedes trilogy crossover. Those books were godawful.

Sleeping Beauties was ...fine. There are far better King books to read if you want to dip back into him.

Advertisement