Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help locating land in Griffiths

Options
  • 04-06-2018 12:34am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Having trouble finding the location of a reference in Griffiths.
    It is for John Hehir, Kinvaradoorus in Galway.

The ledger seems to indicate it should be marked as 33 on the map (perhaps I am wrong in presuming that?)

Would greatly appreciate any help in finding it on a map. A screenshot would be great.
    Hoping to give a GPS reference to a descendant who is soon to visit the area.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I can't see a John Hehir in Kinvaradoorus at all. I can only see one in Emlagh. Have you got a link?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Hi

If you click on the versions button on the map, Version 3 has the plot numbers. No 33 is on that version. I've tried to attach a screenshot. let's see if this work!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thank you so much, that's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

The maps with red boundaries which automatically appear on the search, are second generation maps,c.1870, while the original maps used for the printed edition of Griffith's Primary Valuation, are the black + white versions which have to be clicked on the map versions box.

The second generation maps were chosen first because some of the original maps used by valuators on horseback were in poor condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kildarejohn

KildareFan wrote: »
    Hi

If you click on the versions button on the map, Version 3 has the plot numbers. No 33 is on that version. I've tried to attach a screenshot. let's see if this work!

I compared this to the maps on osi.ie (geohive), the best aerial photo is available by selecting "Digital Globe" option, it seems from this as if the house has disappeared, but perhaps there are some ruins obscured by a tree. The co-ordinates are 53.1485, -8.9654.

Advertisement