Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing machine tripping earth leakage breaker

Options
  • 03-06-2018 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I have a Bosch washing machine, 2 years old which is tripping the Earth Leakage circuit breaker in fuse board. It doesn’t even need to be put on a circle, when the knob is in the off position it is tripping fuse.

I’m going to call Bosch on Tuesday to ask them to look at it.

When I was testing if it was a problem with the machine or the sockets I plugged the machine into a socket across the room and it worked.

It turns out that socket isn’t connected to the earth leakage fuse. Is this something to be worried about? Should all sockets be connected to it?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have a Bosch washing machine, 2 years old which is tripping the Earth Leakage circuit breaker in fuse board. It doesn’t even need to be put on a circle, when the knob is in the off position it is tripping fuse.

Most likely this is a fault caused by water leakage within the appliance.
    I’m going to call Bosch on Tuesday to ask them to look at it.

Good idea.
    When I was testing if it was a problem with the machine or the sockets I plugged the machine into a socket across the room and it worked.

It may not have been working safely. The water may have evaporated by then. Means nothing really. Water often causes intermittent faults.
    It turns out that socket isn’t connected to the earth leakage fuse. Is this something to be worried about? Should all sockets be connected to it?

In general, yes all sockets within a domestic installation should be protected by an RCD (also known as an ELCB). You should get this checked out. An RCD is an important safety device.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 trickybicky

Thanks

Can I just ask why it would trip when on the sockets line and not on the lights line?

See pic attached. It’s the first fuse on the line that trips not the fuse for the ring the appliance is plugged into.

The plug that it is working in is actually wired up on one of the light rings.

Why would it not trip the fuse on the light circuit?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Can I just ask why it would trip when on the sockets line and not on the lights line?

Generally lights are not fed from an RCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

That socket may have been put in for a freezer.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    That socket may have been put in for a freezer.

To comply with current regulations it should still be protected by an RCD.

A spur outlet could be used to supply a freezer without the requirement for RCD protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 trickybicky

Thanks

The socket is in the middle of an open plan area, would use it for hoover

Advertisement