Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A fail for Ordinary English

Options
  • 03-06-2018 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

How badly would you have to do to fail pass English. I dropped to pass because I have no interest in the subject and points wise I don't need it. However I still need to pass for entry requirements to college. So how badly would I have to mess up to fail?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Interesting approach. What course are you doing that you won't be expected to write well? No thesis?

Here's the syllabus, make sure you have covered the poems/comparative modes etc for OL.
    https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0014_2016.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Username_121

It's not that I don't have to write well, it's just that at the moment I'm focused on getting into college and for me failing English was a possibility, so I dropped to pass just to make sure I don't fail to meet entry requirements, that is, an O6/H7

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well you need to get 40% to get an O6. That's about all there is to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Honours English was tough in my day, pass was a piece of piss, really as long as you can read and answer questions and write a semi decent essay, you should get the D3 ..

Honours English was tough in my day, pass was a piece of piss, really as long as you can read and answer questions and write a semi decent essay, you should get the D3 ..

Ok perfect and thank you

• Advertisement

Sorry, I know it's a little relative, but I was worried myself about failing hons English, so I dropped to pass and I think I got a B1 .. Pass subjects are hard to fail, keep writing give all questions a good go - STAY TO THE END!! - and you should get it .

Remember the good thing about English is you can waffle a lot of the way through - seriously.

Good luck!

and christ I just realised it's 22 years since I sat English LC !!!

GREAT SCOTT!!!!!!

I'm old

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Similar approach myself years back. No interest in English and the waffle that seems to be required. Did pass English and to be honest I don't think there was ever a possibility of failing it.
    Much more interested in maths and science where the correct answer is the answer, no bloating required.
    Anyway, went for the pass English, higher maths etc and now have an Engineering Degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

You've done the right thing dropping from honours to ordinary. I done my Leaving over 20 yrs ago and it was the biggest mistake I made not dropping from H to O paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

The biggest mistake you can make in English that could possibly cause you to fail OL is to not answer the question. OR to do something silly like answer on the same text for your single text and comparative. Other than that, as long as you make a good attempt at all questions and have some knowledge of your texts you should be fine.

• Advertisement

nermal15 wrote: »
    The biggest mistake you can make in English that could possibly cause you to fail OL is to not answer the question. OR to do something silly like answer on the same text for your single text and comparative. Other than that, as long as you make a good attempt at all questions and have some knowledge of your texts you should be fine.

That's good to hear, thank you

Advertisement