Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I sell my equity in this digital company?

Options
  • 03-06-2018 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I started a website with this other guy, I split ways with him after about a year. The company is growing really fast and becoming really successful. The guy I started it with offered to buy my equity for 30k. I most definitely want to take that offer but he hasn't responded since I told him I'll take it.

Is it possible for me to find a third party investor who will buy my equity in this company? Anyone who does a little bit of research will see that this equity is gonna multiply vastly over the next few years. It went up from nothing to 30k in 1.5 years. I don't know much at all about business, I was pretty much the idea machine and developer in this company, since I'm so broke I wanna sell this equity now, I'd really appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

seabadger wrote: »
    The company is growing really fast and becoming really successful. The guy I started it with offered to buy my equity for 30k.

What is the company setup? is a Partnership? Ltd,? DAC? or CLG?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

If it is a private company then there is a restriction on the sale of the shares to a third party. You will need to get permission from the existing shareholders first otherwise they will not register the transfer.

Check the company constitution to see if it says anything.

Dbran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

dbran wrote: »
    If it is a private company then there is a restriction on the sale of the shares to a third party. You will need to get permission from the existing shareholders first otherwise they will not register the transfer.

Check the company constitution to see if it says anything.

Dbran

I disagree. Shareholders have the ability to transfer their shares to existing shareholders or third parties. There is no restriction unless there is a process limiting disposal specifically defined in either the Constitution or a shareholders’ agreement. (E.g. shares must first be offered to the other shareholders.)

The directors have a right to refuse any transfer of shares only if the transfer is not in the best interests of the company or if it is oppressing any shareholder rights. That would not appear to be the case in this instance. In this case the OP has been made an offer to purchase by the other single shareholder (OS), OP has indicated his assent so s/he should now write to OS asking him to complete the transaction within a defined timeframe and stating that unless the deal proceeds the shares will be offered for sale elsewhere.

(Of course the OP is a one-post wonder, we have no idea of how the €30k valuation was arrived at, or if a shareholders agreement is in place and what process was used to value a venture that is “gonna multiply vastly over the next few years.”)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Why sell? unless you desperately need the money? If the company going brill it could be worth serious de niro in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,249 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Why sell? unless you desperately need the money? If the company going brill it could be worth serious de niro in a few years.

Yeah, thinking long-term could it be more valuable to hold onto?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

30k will barely buy you a decent motor these days. Without knowing anything about the company or the tech involved.

A cursory glamce at the tech industry and the outrageous valuations being put on companies people started in their bedrooms, I would not be selling.

I could live with losing 30k. I don't think I'd get over losing a million or more.

Advertisement