Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop fan burning hot

Options
  • 02-06-2018 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

About 2 years ago my laptop broke. Windows 10 somehow got completely messed up and had to be uninstalled and re-installed. I brought my laptop to a computer repair place to have this done. Ever since I got it back whenever I play games my laptop fan gets red hot. It gets so hot that after a while I have to stop playing whatever game I'm playing because the WASD keys literally start to burn my fingers. I have a plug in fan my laptop sits on (can't remember the technical name) but it doesn't help.
    I haven't had the time or money to get it looked at in a repair shop yet (the one I sent it to in the first place closed down soon after I got it fixed there).
    Dose anyone have any idea what might be the problem? The fan worked perfectly fine before I sent it to get fixed.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Have you tried clearing the dust out of the intake vents? In my experience they always get clogged up and reduce the air flow into the cooling module, thus pumping the fan harder/faster to get some cooling air in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Alvina

I tried that before but it didn't do anything to help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Any chance the lads in the repair shop might have overclocked the laptop to make it faster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Fan is either not working, or clogged with dust, or thermal paste has dried out, or a combination of all.

For a simple re-install of Windows a repair shop wouldn't have touched your hardware or done anything to it, so it's likely just coincidence unless they damaged it through accidental damage or similar.

Advertisement