Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea furniture - hard to assemble?

Options
  • 02-06-2018 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,

Recently bought an apartment and am looking to furnish it on the cheap. Ikea seems to have some really good options, but nervous about how difficult it would be to assemble it.

Is it generally easy to assemble or do people have difficulties. Never purchased from Ikea before

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

Hi,

Recently bought an apartment and am looking to furnish it on the cheap. Ikea seems to have some really good options, but nervous about how difficult it would be to assemble it.

Is it generally easy to assemble or do people have difficulties. Never purchased from Ikea before

Thanks

The fact you’re asking leads me to believe it’ll be too difficult for you. You can pay to have it assembled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭SteM

I've found it fine as long as you lay all the pieces out in order and give yourself plenty of room to work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Sixtoes wrote: »
    The fact you’re asking leads me to believe it’ll be too difficult for you. You can pay to have it assembled.

Don't try you never learn, helps a lot if you have proper tools like a ratchet / power screw driver. Had none of those on my first Ikea's stuff , instructions were poor but having a friend to concur with helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,431 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s no problem once you get your head around the first one. All their furniture is very similarly put together. There are also plenty videos online.
    I would avoid using power tools on them until you understand how they go together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I have zero-DIY skills but find IKEA kits pretty easy. As mentioned identify/lay out all the bits beforehand. Also try and read through the instructions first so you can see what needs to be done.

The hardest bit can be sometimes knowing which way the large parts should be turned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Measure the heck out of everything first. Get the assembled sizes but more importantly the packed lengths for yer car.
    But ya if you're tight on time you could pay someone but I'd have a go anyway, if you've to furnish a whole gaffe you'd be needing a van or plan for 2 or 3 trips
    I reckon another forum like DIY would tell you go for it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

If you're furnishing the whole place it's worth ordering online and paying to have it delivered. It costs 40 to have it delivered in Dublin. Saves you trying to find everything in the shop as most pieces of furniture have multiple packets/boxes. You can create an online account and browse the products and save to your online basket, then go out to the shop to check everything is the standard/comfort level you like but buy nothing on the day, just order at home online. If you do buy in the shop and need delivery, it is next day delivery only from the shop so you need to make sure you're home. If you order online you've more choice of delivery dates.

As others have said, lay everything out, read the instructions in full or at least a page or two ahead before screwing bits together. Sometimes you can be tempted to jump ahead as something appears like an obvious next step, but you could end up having to undo work to get back on track with the instructions.

Yes you can pay someone to do it but its not cheap to do so, and kind of defeats the purpose of buying cheap furniture if it works out at extra cost to get it assembled.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Walk away

If you like being in a relationship don't touch the stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 17,385 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Only problem you'll have is if their are bits left over...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Don't order online, it comes from the UK and is very unreliable, order in store for deliver, it will cost the same but actual people will be looking after your order rather then the terrible system the UK use

• Advertisement

GingerLily wrote:
    Don't order online, it comes from the UK and is very unreliable, order in store for deliver, it will cost the same but actual people will be looking after your order rather then the terrible system the UK use

We ordered every piece of furniture in our 3 bed house from the website and had absolutely no issues. I would have paid ten times as much for this service rather than stand in the shop looking for box 1 of 5 etc and being unable to lift anything down. Then trying to manouevre the trolleys to the tills, then queuing at the tills for ages, then queuing at the delivery counter for ages. Each to their own but our personal experience of ordering online was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Cash_Q wrote: »
    We ordered every piece of furniture in our 3 bed house from the website and had absolutely no issues. I would have paid ten times as much for this service rather than stand in the shop looking for box 1 of 5 etc and being unable to lift anything down. Then trying to manouevre the trolleys to the tills, then queuing at the tills for ages, then queuing at the delivery counter for ages. Each to their own but our personal experience of ordering online was brilliant.

I suggested ordering in store (even on the phone) not buying in store. We personally had our online order canceled four times and it took a month to get out refund. We had to sleep on the floor for a few days, it was literally a nightmare.

So yes I would definitely not recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I have lots of furniture from there, some of the stuff can be tricky but most is fine, my boyfriend and I were able to do it all without help and we wouldn't really be into diy. You'll need two people to assemble a lot of the bigger units btw. Maybe get something simple first and see how you get on if you're worried about it.

Sorry I misread your post as I didn't know that this was possible. How do you order in the store? Like where do you go and how does the process work? Sorry to derail the thread I'm genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Its not hard to do, you'll probably have redo a few sections if you rush in and dont read instructions thoroughly.

However anybody sayings its very hard is meerly trying to up their DIY ego for saying they did it.

Its a puzzle is all, the assembling bit is simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi,

Thanks

Personally a nightmare,but maybe it's me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Years ago, it was more difficult, but it is very easy these days and almost all are designed to be put together in a similar fashion.

Tables and shelf units in particular are very easy.

Desks & beds are a little more difficult and time consuming as they have more components to be put together.

If you are planning a fair bit of furniture, get it all and do an "assembly weekend" as once you get into it you find it all works the same way

It's really not difficult to put together an ikea piece. Go and buy two of the things you need, and take a shot at them. You'll spend ages on the first one, and fly through the second one.

Ikea's stuff is generally a series of squares or rectangles where the sides just need to be screwed into place. Would do no harm to pick up a cheap electric drill to speed things up for you a bit.

If you do end up hiring someone, it'll be a handy few euro for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fwarder

Half of my apartment is Ikea furniture and for the past 5 years, I was more than happy with every single piece. From bed and mattress to the bathroom shelving units :) They are really easy to assemble and usually just require Allen key (supplied) and a hammer (e.g. small nails for the back of the shelving unit). But they do require some time for assembly :D

Advertisement