Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this the best route to become a social worker?

Options
  • 02-06-2018 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hey guys, just wondering if I have the best route for me to become a social worker.

I'll get a HDip in Social Policy and then do a Masters of Social Work. I only have a degree in Sociology (excluding social policy) and Geography.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

That’s pretty much the exact route I took, except my degree was geography and philosophy. :)

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Ariana Grande

That’s pretty much the exact route I took, except my degree was geography and philosophy. :)

Best of luck with it.

Thank you for the quick reply! :) It seems the most direct route!

Can I ask you another question? What did you think of Social Policy (like did you enjoy it/ was there anything you didn't expect?) and the same for the Masters in Social work if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

personally I love social policy; so much so that I am actually not working as a social worker post-qualification but as a policy officer for a not-for-profit.

Both courses are intense- you'll probably have a slight advantage as you have already studied sociology. The H.Dip sees you take classes from all 3 years of a social studies undergrad, and then do specific work to enable you to apply for the SW masters.

The masters is a tough course. It's intense but really good - I enjoyed it even though I've ended up not really using my qualification (long story).

Each of the MSW courses kind of have their own "vibe" so have look at the lecturers on each and see which sounds more like the types of specialities you're looking for. Apply to as many of the programs as you can, especially if you're flexible and can move to a different city (if you're already in or near one of the unis), because each course has slightly different entrance preferences. I applied to both UCD and TCD (I did my HDip in UCD) and whilst I got a first round offer for TCD (22 places) I didn't even get wait-listed for UCD (I think about 40 places).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DannyIrish

Hey all,

I too am interested in becoming a social worker, I will most likely follow the same route as previously advised.

I am just wondering if UCD and Trinity are the only colleges in Dublin that offer the HDip in Social Policy?

Also should I do some volunteer Social work before applying to the HDip, or should I wait and do this during the HDip before applying to do the masters?

Thank you....

Advertisement