Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Docker - O'Carroll & Bennett

Options
  • 02-06-2018 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭

Has anyone read this? I'm only on the third chapter, but I'm finding it very interesting.

Chapter 1 & 2 is about the dockers themselves, their daily routines and work practices, the system of stevedores and the daily hiring of the dockers, the importation of coal, timber, ore, the union badges they wore on their belts. Containerisation in 1971. Chapter 3 goes right back to when Viking ships sailed up the Liffey as far as the Podder and eventually took over the settlements there and started trading.

It has me going down Wikipedia rabbit holes about the development of Dublin. I bought a 1797 map yesterday and framed it for my wall.

E517-IAP-DUBLIN-DOCKERS-137-300x450.jpg

Advertisement