Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External timber frame wall

Options
  • 02-06-2018 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all.
    I have a question that I want to ask. I only want answers from guys whom have tried this before and what was their experience with it.
    I don’t want answers from guys who sit behind a computer and over spec everything in carpentry these days. I’m 20 years in roofing and extensions myself but this is a new journey for me.
    I’m doing a timber frame extension, it’s consists of 6x2 stud, 3/4 osb on the outside of that then it’s wrapped with breathable felt, on top of that is riblath followed by plaster. If I use a breathable earthwool and a 3” insulated slab on the inside will I run into mold or dampness problems.
    I visited an old builder whom did the exact same thing over twenty years ago and he hasn’t had an issue ever. I inspected a few spots on his extension and found it to be bone dry throughout with no issues.
    Has any one tried this before.
    Kind regards
    Steve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I am sitting behind a computer so my contribution will not be welcomed so don't read it: its for others to benefit from.

If the render is cement based and the 3" slab has alu facing on it then, with a gypsum based skim on alu faced pb: then
    for south facing walls, solar drive will be an issue

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 spudgobbler

Please don’t be insulted I didn’t mean it like that all comments and advice are welcome.
    If I cross batten the interior of stud then put 4” of insulated plasterboard on top of that would that allow moisture escape. Obviously I’d Have to bore for vents
    Kind regards
    Steve

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi all.
    I have a question that I want to ask. I only want answers from guys whom have tried this before and what was their experience with it.
    I don’t want answers from guys who sit behind a computer and over spec everything in carpentry these days. I’m 20 years in roofing and extensions myself but this is a new journey for me.
    I’m doing a timber frame extension, it’s consists of 6x2 stud, 3/4 osb on the outside of that then it’s wrapped with breathable felt, on top of that is riblath followed by plaster. If I use a breathable earthwool and a 3” insulated slab on the inside will I run into mold or dampness problems.
    I visited an old builder whom did the exact same thing over twenty years ago and he hasn’t had an issue ever. I inspected a few spots on his extension and found it to be bone dry throughout with no issues.
    Has any one tried this before.
    Kind regards
    Steve
    I spec timber frame and sit behind a computer: so don’t bother reading if you don’t want..

In my extension I double battened and put cement fibre board outside the breathable felt.

The rule of thumb for insulation to avoid interstitial condensation is to keep 2/3 insulation outside the vapor barrier

Insulated slabs are not breathable
    Please don’t be insulted I didn’t mean it like that all comments and advice are welcome.
    If I cross batten the interior of stud then put 4” of insulated plasterboard on top of that would that allow moisture escape. Obviously I’d Have to bore for vents
    Kind regards
    Steve

If you bore vents doesn’t that negate the insulation?

Advertisement