Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West cork property question

Options
  • 01-06-2018 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

My aunt is returning to Ireland as her marriage broken up. Looking for somewhere to live in Kerry or west cork . She’s looking for somewhere that in time she can easily commute to Dublin by public transport. She’s looking for rural but not too far from a town. Golf course, beach views and action if she wants. She was suggesting ballydehob ? What’s people’s views ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Anywhere from West Cork to Dublin by public transport is gonna be a trek, grand the very odd time but if it's a regular thing it really isn't gonna be viable. I'm only guessing but I'd imagine Ballydehob will be 6/7 hours and probably 3/4 bus/train transfers.
    Rural Kerry could be worse.
    Stunning parts of the world to live in, it's a dream of mine to retire in Kerry but I'm not sure I'd do it if I didn't drive or if I needed to commute to Cork city regularly, let alone Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Google maps says Ballydehob is a 6 hour bus journey and I'd believe it.

It's a 4 hour drive to Dublin with no traffic. Easily 5 during the day. I drove it once, couldn't believe there was another 2 hours driving after Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

eeguy wrote: »
    Google maps says Ballydehob is a 6 hour bus journey and I'd believe it.

It's a 4 hour drive to Dublin with no traffic. Easily 5 during the day. I drove it once, couldn't believe there was another 2 hours driving after Cork city.

Just to give an idea of the size of county cork.....
    I was told years ago that the halfway mark for Dublin to Castltownbere was the Jack Lynch tunnel, dunno if that's done in miles, hours and minutes or if it's just made up, but I'd believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jack53

She is coming over in July to look at places - it’s her dream to live in w cork . Spent her summers as a kid on Beara pen.
    I think that peninsula too remote as she will be on her own a lot of the time. Sorry if I’m insulting anyone. I really think it doesn’t have the infrastructure it’s hard to go for a drive for a couple of hours and find a coffee shop in ardgroom or Eyeries. What’s Glengarriff ballydehob like ? Or other areas that have the infrastructure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

No where in West Cork has decent public transport connectivity to Dublin.
    Killarney might be a better bet, theres a train service via Mallow, (albeit full of retired duffers dropping (court/planning etc) files to Dublin on the free travel pass)

Sorry should have explained that she does drive now, and would be well able to get to cork city or Dublin. The reason I requested public transport as this will not always be the case as she’s getting on(like us all ). And she will have visitors from Dublin coming down who will like to take the train/bus reasonable close so she would pick them up. Say a train to Killarney if she bought in Glengarriff.

Is schull a seasonal town ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Jack53 wrote: »
    She is coming over in July to look at places - it’s her dream to live in w cork . Spent her summers as a kid on Beara pen.
    I think that peninsula too remote as she will be on her own a lot of the time. Sorry if I’m insulting anyone. I really think it doesn’t have the infrastructure it’s hard to go for a drive for a couple of hours and find a coffee shop in ardgroom or Eyeries. What’s Glengarriff ballydehob like ? Or other areas that have the infrastructure.

Coffee shop in Eyeries and Ardgroom, both very good.

In comparison Glengarriff shuts down completely in the winter compared to Castletownbere, even Kenmare shuts downs considerably.

In Castletownbere because of the fishing industry the town is still working year round.

Sorry should have explained that she does drive now, and would be well able to get to cork city or Dublin. The reason I requested public transport as this will not always be the case as she’s getting on(like us all ). And she will have visitors from Dublin coming down who will like to take the train/bus reasonable close so she would pick them up. Say a train to Killarney if she bought in Glengarriff.

Schull and Ballydehob are fairly seasonal.
    Schull would be hopping in Summer.
    Ballydehob being nearer to Skibbereen might not see as much a drop off, but both would be quiet in Winter.

What about Kinsale or Clonakilty?
    Clon less than an hour from Cork.
    Or Skibbereen?

Beara would be very quiet in Winter.
    And pretty grim.

• Advertisement

Schull and Ballydehob are fairly seasonal.
    Schull would be hopping in Summer.
    Ballydehob being nearer to Skibbereen might not see as much a drop off, but both would be quiet in Winter.

What about Kinsale or Clonakilty?
    Clon less than an hour from Cork.
    Or Skibbereen?

Beara would be very quiet in Winter.
    And pretty grim.

that’s what I reckon about Beara - bleak in winter

Thanks

that’s what I reckon about Beara - bleak in winter

Thanks

Its beautiful, but she could be very isolated in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Baltimore,Skibbereen areas would suit.

downwesht wrote: »
    Baltimore,Skibbereen areas would suit.

Skib be a better bet, Baltimore goes very quiet.

Its beautiful, but she could be very isolated in winter.

Not at all, nice and quiet and no rotten tourists in the winter!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

.red. wrote: »
    Just to give an idea of the size of county cork.....
    I was told years ago that the halfway mark for Dublin to Castltownbere was the Jack Lynch tunnel, dunno if that's done in miles, hours and minutes or if it's just made up, but I'd believe it.

Gives more an idea of the state of the roads within Cork. Limerick - Belfast can be done in around the same time as Limerick - Skibbereen even though it's twice the distance. Dublin-West Cork at least has the benefit of having the M7/M8 as far as Bishopstown but after that it's quite a difference.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Not at all, nice and quiet and no rotten tourists in the winter!

Its an ill wind that blows nobody any good!

marno21 wrote: »
    Gives more an idea of the state of the roads within Cork. Limerick - Belfast can be done in around the same time as Limerick - Skibbereen even though it's twice the distance. Dublin-West Cork at least has the benefit of having the M7/M8 as far as Bishopstown but after that it's quite a difference.

Strange as the route planner states limerick to Belfast as five hours and limerick Skibbereen as two and a half.

Its an ill wind that blows nobody any good!

It suits me :)

Advertisement