Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an ITE certificate while working

Options
  • 01-06-2018 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello, i'm a programmer here in Brazil, but really want to get into teaching, which is a passion i discovered a bit late in my university years. I'll be moving to Ireland shortly and researched about the requirements to teach post-primary classes, and although i have the required NFQ level 8 certificate (i have a masters degree), i got confused about the ITE qualification.

1) Is it possible to work and study the required ITE course simultaneously? Do you have any stories to share? The university schedules i checked seem pretty rough to do both things simultaneously.

2) I've seen that the price of the courses are around 15k euros, is this correct? Is there a more affordable option?

Thank you very much for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

pedro_am wrote: »
    Hello, i'm a programmer here in Brazil, but really want to get into teaching, which is a passion i discovered a bit late in my university years. I'll be moving to Ireland shortly and researched about the requirements to teach post-primary classes, and although i have the required NFQ level 8 certificate (i have a masters degree), i got confused about the ITE qualification.

1) Is it possible to work and study the required ITE course simultaneously? Do you have any stories to share? The university schedules i checked seem pretty rough to do both things simultaneously.

2) I've seen that the price of the courses are around 15k euros, is this correct? Is there a more affordable option?

Thank you very much for your time.

Excuse my ignorance but was in ITE?

Yes the prices you have seen are correct. It's a two year qualification.

You can't teach post-primary without a Teaching Council number and you need a PME to register for secondary schools. You can register for further education without a PME.

ICT is only being rolled out this year so you will struggle for sustainable employment unless you have another in demand subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I thunk he means Initial Teacher Education.

In the UK they might PAY YOU to be a teacher.
    Ireland is funny because it depends on what subject you have to get a job.
    English No
    Geography no
    History no
    Irish yes
    Home economics yes
    Spanish yes
    Italian no
    Physics yes
    Biology no
    Chemistry maybe
    Maths yes
    (That's just a generalisation above)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pedro_am

Yeah, it would probably be in Maths. This is more complex than i imagined, especially now that i checked that you need a certain amout of ECTS credits in certain areas, which is quite hard to convert from the credits we use here. I might register for a full undergraduate course in Maths if that simplifies the process. Is it possible to obtain the requirements from a online university? It might be a very good option if one exists.

Yeah, it would probably be in Maths. This is more complex than i imagined, especially now that i checked that you need a certain amout of ECTS credits in certain areas, which is quite hard to convert from the credits we use here. I might register for a full undergraduate course in Maths if that simplifies the process. Is it possible to obtain the requirements from a online university? It might be a very good option if one exists.

There is an online version. - it's called Hibernia. Same price as well.

If you were going to do another undergraduate, there is a maths/education degree in NUIG. There are science education degrees in Limerick. Any interest in languages? Maths, Home Economics and languages are the in demand subjects at the moment.

• Advertisement

I was checking the NUIG website, and it seems to have a few different fees. EU fees, Tuition fees, Student Contribution and Student Levy. Do i have to pay all of these per year? That would sum to over 10k. I would prefer an area related to Mathematics, since i'm more used to it, languages don't appeal to me that much.

I was checking the NUIG website, and it seems to have a few different fees. EU fees, Tuition fees, Student Contribution and Student Levy. Do i have to pay all of these per year? That would sum to over 10k. I would prefer an area related to Mathematics, since i'm more used to it, languages don't appeal to me that much.

I would presume so. It's been a while since I studied there. Send them an email and see overall costs and see if there is assistance you could claim for. Is there a possibility that you train in Brazil and then see if you need extra credits for Ireland. You will definitely have to do a History of Education exam.

Advertisement