Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RC and CoI

Options
  • 01-06-2018 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Having been to several different CoI church services over the last couple of years, and RC family funerals, I'm not sure if I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing or has it always been there. Is the CoI becoming more obviously RC in its teaching/preaching? I notice things that would never have happened or mentioned in a CoI church when I was young but are now happening. I won't mention what they are as I don't want to get anyone in a pickle. Maybe they were just High Church but I'm getting confused.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,078 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Of the various Christian traditions represented in Ireland, Anglicanism and Catholicism are probably the closest, Obviously there are points of difference between them, but these would rarely form the subject of many Sunday sermons. So I'm not sure what it is that you might have been noticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Give us some examples of the churches and/or the teaching..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thank you for replying. Yes, I do understand that they are quite close but if I repeat what was said I'd be identifying who said it. I really was just wondering if anyone else had noticed anything surprising. I know some who have left their CoI parishes because they were unhappy with the leadership. I suppose if the minister was High Church then that would explain it. I personally would avoid High Church services. The only thing I can say is "its not what I was brought up to believe". That's as far as I can go I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Thank you for replying. Yes, I do understand that they are quite close but if I repeat what was said I'd be identifying who said it. I really was just wondering if anyone else had noticed anything surprising. I know some who have left their CoI parishes because they were unhappy with the leadership. I suppose if the minister was High Church then that would explain it. I personally would avoid High Church services. The only thing I can say is "its not what I was brought up to believe". That's as far as I can go I'm afraid.

I am the reverse. I personally would avoid avowedly Conservative-Evangelical services, especially those churches for whom the recent Presbyterian Church in Ireland decision would be an acceptable direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

The CoI is an incredibly broad church. You have people whose beliefs are more equivalent with Presbyterians at one end, and nuns at the other.

• Advertisement

That's very true, Achasanai. Maybe there has been a shift which I have hitherto been unaware of but seems to be more vocal now. I still can't get my head around Catholic Anglicans or Anglican Catholics!

Maybe the shift is more pronounced because of the internet and the ability to know more about things from less 'official' sources. I'm fairly sure there was always a divide between low & high. Maybe the two archbishop thing kind of allows this to happen as a matter of course?

Yes there is a divide between low and high all right. I prefer low myself.

Achasanai wrote: »
    Maybe the shift is more pronounced because of the internet and the ability to know more about things from less 'official' sources. I'm fairly sure there was always a divide between low & high. Maybe the two archbishop thing kind of allows this to happen as a matter of course?
    This is a feature, not a bug. The accommodation of a diversity of styles and beliefs and emphases is, in some ways, the whole point of Anglicanism. Classically, what defines Anglicans is that they all use the one prayer book, and they all take the one sacrament. These things are matters of practice/worship more than belief, which means that some Anglicans can have very "protestant", evangelical, near-Presbyterian beliefs, while others may be much more "catholic", near-Roman. And that's OK. It always was.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    This is a feature, not a bug. The accommodation of a diversity of styles and beliefs and emphases is, in some ways, the whole point of Anglicanism. Classically, what defines Anglicans is that they all use the one prayer book, and they all take the one sacrament. These things are matters of practice/worship more than belief, which means that some Anglicans can have very "protestant", evangelical, near-Presbyterian beliefs, while others may be much more "catholic", near-Roman. And that's OK. It always was.

I'm not sure I called it a bug, but okay? I get the basics of the CoI, I was more trying to figure out whether the perception of the divide between low & high was more pronounced with the better access to information that we have nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If you look at the broad message rather than the minute details the churches are essentially the same.

If I go to a funeral or wedding I focus on the person who the celebration is about, everything else is just window dressing to facilitate you to celebrate.

Achasanai wrote: »
    I'm not sure I called it a bug, but okay? I get the basics of the CoI, I was more trying to figure out whether the perception of the divide between low & high was more pronounced with the better access to information that we have nowadays.
    Possibly, but TBH you have to be fairly churchy (interested in church doings) to be aware of much more than goes in in your own parish church, or others that you have occasion to visit. Info about intra-church discussions/differences is more accessible than it was before, but most people are still not motivated to access it. And people who *are* churchy were probably always aware that you have your high church and your low church and your broad church and - especially in a minority church like the CofI - any tensions between them are never allowed to become a Big Issue.

Advertisement