Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail: Plans for Kilkenny to Cork line?

Options
  • 01-06-2018 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Anyone know if there are plans for a direct KK to Cork in the not too distant future?

The KK-Waterford-Cork seems like a crazy route for something that could be pretty straightforward, no? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Anyone know if there are plans for a direct KK to Cork in the not too distant future?

The KK-Waterford-Cork seems like a crazy route for something that could be pretty straightforward, no? :confused:

No, there aren't. Not trying to be rude, but where in the name of God did you come up with that bizarre idea? Seeing as there isn't even a Waterford-Cork line?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ShadeRunner

My mistake, overlooked the "Waterford - Cork" leg of the commute was by bus not rail.

Either way, it's a hell of a public transport "option".

I'm guessing there's a good reason for it, but just figured I'd ask since I'm new to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Considering they are considering closing a number of rail routes around the country this is unlikely to ever happen.

I'd much rather see the M9 and M8 linked at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

My mistake, overlooked the "Waterford - Cork" leg of the commute was by bus not rail.

Either way, it's a hell of a public transport "option".

I'm guessing there's a good reason for it, but just figured I'd ask since I'm new to the area.

No worries. But if they ever did try it, which they won't, it'd be an extension from Kilkenny to either Portlaoise (there was such a link until it was closed down in the 1960s) or Thurles.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mankbag wrote: »
    No worries. But if they ever did try it, which they won't, it'd be an extension from Kilkenny to either Portlaoise (there was such a link until it was closed down in the 1960s) or Thurles.

I'd say there's more of a chance of that being a green way then a operational rail line again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'd say there's more of a chance of that being a green way then a operational rail line again.

Doubt it as a lot of that got sold.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Doubt it as a lot of that got sold.

Cue hundreds of crying, angry Mamils. Crangry Mamils.

Advertisement