Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can NASA 'Detect' methane on Pluto?

Options
  • 01-06-2018 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭

So apparently there are dunes of methane on pluto.
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/may/31/dunes-detected-on-pluto-by-scientists

I see this all the time in space related articles where apparently we discover x, y or z elements on distant planets.

I can see how they might be able to make an educated guess if they have a high enough resolution image on different wave lengths for Pluto because its relatively close to us. But the same cannot be said for planets light years away.

How can NASA possibly determine with any degree of certainty that the dunes or any other atmosphere are made of without actually physically testing the substance?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

some of it is educated guessing , some simple molecules are common in the outer solar system , like water , it it walks like a duck etc. or what could possibly be activated by sunlight

spectrographs can identify the optical signatures of various substances , methane or nitrogen is blueish init ? so there's that too

the bit I liked about this they could figure out how much energy the wind had and work back to the particle size

Advertisement