Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currys knowhow product cover question

Options
  • 01-06-2018 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi, Hopefully I've put this in the right place, feel free to move it if not

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on Currys knowhow insurance cover.

Got a laptop and took out the knowhow insurance. They couldn't fix it within the specified time so I'm entitled to a voucher for a replacement product.

They couldn't give me a timeframe for when I'll receive this voucher.

Just wondering if anyone has been through this and can tell me how long it took for them to get the voucher code?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I have been through this before but my experience won’t be helpful to you. Once upon a time their former MD (Declan) was a boardsie and a gent, he would personally deal with issues. I had a repeat non-fixed issue, wrote a bit of a yarn thread about it back then. He took personal charge of it and really sorted me out - I got a voucher for ~95% of what I paid 2 years previously + a 2nd voucher for a couple of years insurance. All that took about a week from start to finish but as I say, that would be an exceptional example.

They ended up stiffing Declan in the end and pulled their “talk to” section here. I can’t say I’ve bought much from DSG since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Glad I saw this thread. I bought a lot of stuff back in the day from DSG, including this laptop, a Lenovo Ideapad 500 as well as my ASUS X550 instore in the now closed Liffey Valley shopping mall premises. Another piece of trivia: Our very first printer, an Epson Stylus Color 400 was bought in this very store.

But DSG stores now feel very different. I kinda knew things were changing when I went into the also now closed one in The Square tallaght and asked for a male to male USB A lead. I got shrugged at. Bought it 2 minutes later in FUN MAX on second level.

DSG still might be able to compete, -Maplins have folded - but boardsies are'nt really a target market.

Declan WAS a gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dbs103

Thanks for the replies. Interesting info as well.

Incase anyone is interested I'll update as soon as I hear back from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sylwunia

Hi

We are in similiar situation:TV broke down after 2.5 years and we contacted know how insurace cover guys After a short phone check they send people to collect our TV and they told us that it goea to Birmingham for repair (!) People from no know how also told us that it will be back in 14 days. 3 days ago we got text from them saying that they're still working on our TV and wil contact us with new date My understanding is that according to their 14 days repair promise they have to issue us with voucher to the shop for a new TV.
    Did you get your voucher yet? How can we enforce it?

Thanks
    dbs103 wrote: »

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on Currys knowhow insurance cover.

Got a laptop and took out the knowhow insurance. They couldn't fix it within the specified time so I'm entitled to a voucher for a replacement product.

Just wondering if anyone has been through this and can tell me how long it took for them to get the voucher code?

Cheers.

sylwunia wrote: »
    Hi

We are in similiar situation:TV broke down after 2.5 years and we contacted know how insurace cover guys After a short phone check they send people to collect our TV and they told us that it goea to Birmingham for repair (!) People from no know how also told us that it will be back in 14 days. 3 days ago we got text from them saying that they're still working on our TV and wil contact us with new date My understanding is that according to their 14 days repair promise they have to issue us with voucher to the shop for a new TV.
    Did you get your voucher yet? How can we enforce it?

Thanks
    dbs103 wrote: »

Cheers.

Yep, it sounds like you are entitled to the voucher. As far as I can remember it's 14 days from when they collect it to when the first try to deliver it back. Ring the team knowhow number and request the voucher. They definitely won't offer it without you requesting it from them.
    There is an 1800 number you can phone, that's handy as you can be on the phone for a good while and the 1890 number can get expensive.

In my case the team knowhow crowd said that pcworld didn't book it in with them until 2 days after I dropped it in, so they had met their 14 days repair policy. I was told I would have to take it up with Currys themselves.

I went to the same store I'd given to and explained the situation.

The first response to me was that they wont give a voucher.

Second response was that the 14 days was from when the repair was booked in, not from when I dropped it into the shop. I was told that that was in t&c's. I then showed them the t&c's to which there was no reply except that they wont issue a voucher. I asked for that in writing to which I was refused.

Thirdly I was told it can take up to 28 days and that's in the t&c's. Again I showed them and they didn't really respond.

Finally my request to speak to a manager was answered. The manager, rudely and begrudgingly, said if I can furnish a copy of my coverplan agreement he would issue a voucher for the value of my laptop.

Turns out he didn't need to. While in the shop team knowhow phoned back and told me they would give the voucher. They firstly offered me my old laptop and a £50 voucher. I refused and told them that I take the voucher. About 5 hours later I got a text with my voucher code. It was for the same value that I had paid for the laptop 2 years ago.

I'd advise you to stick to your guns. Just state that it's been longer than 14 days and you want your voucher for a new tv.

If they try to tell you anything else about timeframes etc just keep repeating that your entitled to it and you would like them to honour their end of the contract.

Be polite and courteous, even if you are lied to like I was. Ask for the name of the person you are talking to so that they (hopefully) follow up on anything that they say they will do.

Best of luck.

Also, if you get the voucher and are going to get the insurance again make sure to haggle with the guy in the shop. I got a pretty good deal on the new insurance policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 sylwunia

Dear dbs103

Many thanks for your detailed ans informative reply. It's exactly what I needed. I really appreciate rheb tone you b took to answer to my query. I will stick to my guns as you advised and will let you know if I succeeded. They cannot leave us without TV for Worldcup.
    Cheers again.
    sylwunia

No problem.

Yeah keep me posted.

Best of luck.

Also I think I found that phone number.

1800 303 100.

Advertisement