Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is that chime on the DART?

Options
  • 01-06-2018 8:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I've been wondering this for years and years. When you're on the DART and if you're sitting near the driver's cab, sometimes as the train is pulling into a station you can hear a bell chime. Not the other audible beep that you can hear when the train needs to slow down. What is that for?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Deadman pedal, deadman switch whichever you like to call it. Goggle is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

That does not explain what it is ^

...and what would one google "whats that DART bell?"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

In a cab, a train driver is likely to hear a few warning signals.
    • The vigilance device, known to many as the deadman's handle will sound a warning if a driver lets go of it for a couple of seconds. If it it pressed again the bell goes and the train runs as normal. If it isn't then the train brake will apply.
    • On Irish Rail trains, the in cab signal system, CAWS, will sound if a signal upgrades (Goes from red to amber to green.) or more importantly when it downgrades (Goes from green to an amber or red.). In the case of the latter an in cab phone rings and must be picked up and answered by the driver to acknowledge that he knows that the signal has changed; if he misses this call then the train brake will apply.
    • DART is also fitted with Automatic Train Protection (ATP). It stops the DART from breaking line speed limits. When it hits a speed limit or applies the train brake it sounds an alarm in cab to alert the driver of same.
    • Trains that travel on NIR tracks are fitted with Train Protection Warning System (TPWS). It too sounds alarms in cab but obviously it isn't fitted on the DART.

Luas has a Deadman fitted but not CAWS, ATP or TPWS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

In a cab, a train driver is likely to hear a few warning signals.
    • The vigilance device, known to many as the deadman's handle will sound a warning if a driver lets go of it for a couple of seconds. If it it pressed again the bell goes and the train runs as normal. If it isn't then the train brake will apply.
    • On Irish Rail trains, the in cab signal system, CAWS, will sound if a signal upgrades (Goes from red to amber to green.) or more importantly when it downgrades (Goes from green to an amber or red.). In the case of the latter an in cab phone rings and must be picked up and answered by the driver to acknowledge that he knows that the signal has changed; if he misses this call then the train brake will apply.
    • DART is also fitted with Automatic Train Protection (ATP). It stops the DART from breaking line speed limits. When it hits a speed limit or applies the train brake it sounds an alarm in cab to alert the driver of same.
    • Trains that travel on NIR tracks are fitted with Train Protection Warning System (TPWS). It too sounds alarms in cab but obviously it isn't fitted on the DART.

Luas has a Deadman fitted but not CAWS, ATP or TPWS.

There is no "phone call" to answer for CAWS, just an audio tone which needs to be acknowledged by pressing a button.

AWS also in use in Northern Ireland.

My guess is the OP is hearing the vigilance alarm on the 8100s (which sounds different to the other classes, they have a more modern tone), it sounds something similar to a US type school bell for a second or two.

This happens the odd time when the driver takes his hand off the power/brake controller, he has 3 seconds to press down on it again or the deadman/vigilence system will apply the brakes.

All trains have a deadman/vigilance pedal which must be depressed by foot, the DARTs have this system built into the combined power/brake controller instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

GM228 wrote: »
    There is no "phone call" to answer for CAWS, just an audio tone which needs to be acknowledged by pressing a button.

The warning on came from the ringing of the in cab train phone handset. New in cabs systems generally have the button system as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 fattymoon

My guess is the OP is hearing the vigilance alarm on the 8100s (which sounds different to the other classes, they have a more modern tone), it sounds something similar to a US type school bell for a second or two.

This is exactly the one I mean. It's a bell. The other one I hear is when the train seems to exceed some speed, I hear a beep and then the train immediately slows down (but doesn't come to a stop). I was always curious about it. Most often I hear it when the train is pulling into the station. Thanks for the explanation!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The warning on came from the ringing of the in cab train phone handset. New in cabs systems generally have the button system as well.

All trains fitted with CAWS have the button and always have from day 1 when the 001s, 071s, 121s, 141s and 181s were retro fitted with the system.

On some of the retro fits the audible tone was wired into the loudspeaker of the radio system, not the handset itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

All trains fitted with CAWS have the button and always have from day 1 when the 001s, 071s, 121s, 141s and 181s were retro fitted with the system.

On some of the retro fits the audible tone was wired into the loudspeaker of the radio system, not the handset itself.

You can hear and see the CAWS upgrades and downgrades in this video

https://youtu.be/DuWT3l9THWY

Advertisement