Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Gomera - Canary Islands...thoughts?

Options
  • 01-06-2018 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

I haven't been to the Canary Islands for about 30 years.

We were in Gran Canaria, and all I remember is that I loved it.

I've been hearing great things about La Gomera - a more middle-aged demographic, quieter and great for walking - and I'm wondering about others experiences of that island.

Apartment or hotel?

Even though it's tiny, are there good/so-so parts of the island?

Anything else worth mentioning?

I know you have to take a ferry to it - apparently, this slight deterrent keeps out the younger set, which I am no longer a member of.

Well?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Went twice about a year and a half ago, once in December and then again in the following March. Both times the weather was amazing.

The capital San Sebastián was busy enough but I stayed in Playa de Santiago which is a tiny (pebble) beach resort(loosely use the term resort as its tiny) a large resort in the cliffs and then the tiny village below (fab local restaurants just a couple ) I did a walk every day around various parts of the island from village to village and then returned about 4.30 for a bit of sun and pool and then dinner.

The island is very tropical, very like South America.

The walking is tough, you’d want to be fairly fit, but really enjoyable.

I stayed in A resort...le jardin Tecina. It was populated by older crowd, wealthy Europeans, good few Scandinavians and Germans. I had breakfast (really good) and they gave me a packed lunch for my walks but had dinner out as it was a bit if a buffet bunfight at dinner. The resort is touristy and big but did not feel that way, but quite luxurious, I had a room overlooking the sea with a fantastic views.

Some lovely apartments on the seafront.

Apartments Tapahuga for example had a lovely Rooftop pool and were very Spanish style.

A lot of people stayed in Valle Ran Rey which might be busier but I did not stay there so can’t comment.

It’s very different to the other Canary Islands, very authentic overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Many thanks for the reply.

The demographic you describe is exactly what I was told - not too young, which suits me.

As does the walking - you’re idea of a day out would suit me. Exercise, followed by pool, food and wine.

Someone told me that La Gomera is the island where other (local) islanders retreat to to get away from the masses.

I’m seriously tempted!

Thanks again.

D.

Advertisement