Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why am I getting raped by taxes

Options
  • 01-06-2018 3:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I am a single man and if I work for over 48 hours and my wage increases, I absolutely get destroyed by taxes. I am a college student who's trying to make more money during the summer months but why am I getting punished for trying to make more. I am not some rich man who can give half of his wage to the goverment. All I want is to make some extra money but I received my payslip this week for 60 hours worked and I got €10 more than if I was working 48 hours because of all the charges which include tax, usx and prsi. Just why. I have no motivation to work more than 48 hours as I am getting punished and end up losing money instead of earning, I don't understand the logic. Am I missing something? Is there any way to make money during the summer months without paying such large amounts. It's not emergency tax btw, I don't get destroyed if I work 48 hours or less

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I am a single man and if I work for over 48 hours and my wage increases, I absolutely get destroyed by taxes. I am a college student who's trying to make more money during the summer months but why am I getting punished for trying to make more. I am not some rich man who can give half of his wage to the goverment. All I want is to make some extra money but I received my payslip this week for 60 hours worked and I got €10 more than if I was working 48 hours because of all the charges which include tax, usx and prsi. Just why. I have no motivation to work more than 48 hours as I am getting punished and end up losing money instead of earning, I don't understand the logic.

€10 more for 12 hours extra work? I smell a little bs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mrtestosterone

€10 more for 12 hours extra work? I smell a little bs here.

Yes because I have nothing better to ****ing to do than create fake threads on boards which serve no purpose. Makes so much ****ing sense. I got €10 more because the rest of it was taxed. I have a breakdown of what takes what. Tax is the one that takes the most then prsi and usc. I just made this all up so delete this thread, mods because obviously I am lying and wasting my own time and everyone else's because why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I got lost in Life festival and had to pay 70e home for a 45 min taxi. I had to haggle with him to keep it that before I got in (he wanted 100). That was 3 days ago. I thought at it as, if I don't get home I'm ****ed. Ridiculous money but then again, I got home and slept like a daisy. Don't know where I'm going with this.

Yes because I have nothing better to ****ing to do than create fake threads on boards which serve no purpose. Makes so much ****ing sense. I got €10 more because the rest of it was taxed. I have a breakdown of what takes what. Tax is the one that takes the most then prsi and usc. I just made this all up so delete this thread, mods because obviously I am lying and wasting my own time and everyone else's because why not.

Ooooh, who’s a bit of a moaning michael. Show us the breakdown,rude boy. And if the net benefit is €10 for 12 hours extra work you are either being scammed or emergency taxed. That simply isn’t possible when minimum wage rates and marginal tax rates are considered. Not the smartest, are we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I worked nights as a security guard in bray dart station one summer. They paid the same "composite rate" for day and night work - to avoid paying the required extra for night work. It was about €8 an hour. Usually you got the dart home in the mornings. On sunday mornings the dart didnt start for hours after you'd finish, so you got a taxi. The taxi would charge you extra for going into a different county (into Dublin from Wicklow), even though the trip wasnt that far. You ended up getting very little for working on a Saturday night.

• Advertisement

Ooooh, who’s a bit of a moaning michael. Show us the breakdown,rude boy. And if the net benefit is €10 for 12 hours extra work you are either being scammed or emergency taxed. That simply isn’t possible when minimum wage rates and marginal tax rates are considered. Not the smartest, are we?

Well, I am ready for a cage match at anytime. I can even arrange absolutely everything including the gym, you won't have a to pay for anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

If you are a college student who only or mainly works the summer months you should be paying little or no tax. The most likely reason is that your rate bands and credits haven't been allocated correctly - a quick call to the revenue should sort it out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I am a single man and if I work for over 48 hours and my wage increases, I absolutely get destroyed by taxes. I am a college student who's trying to make more money during the summer months but why am I getting punished for trying to make more. I am not some rich man who can give half of his wage to the goverment. All I want is to make some extra money but I received my payslip this week for 60 hours worked and I got €10 more than if I was working 48 hours because of all the charges which include tax, usx and prsi. Just why. I have no motivation to work more than 48 hours as I am getting punished and end up losing money instead of earning, I don't understand the logic. Am I missing something? Is there any way to make money during the summer months without paying such large amounts. It's not emergency tax btw, I don't get destroyed if I work 48 hours or less

Using lube always helps, OP. That way it don't hurt so much.. :cool:

Well, I am ready for a cage match at anytime. I can even arrange absolutely everything including the gym, you won't have a to pay for anything.

I do not engage in those kind of activities. Except with my girlfriend.

"You're not the smartest"
    "Well I can fight you in a cage"

Cool. On another note, do you think that the broadening of college admissions to become the general norm is in fact a retrograde step? The quality of education suffers perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,169 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Nobody wants a cage match. We're just pointing out that if you post the figures shown on your payslip somebody could possibly point out what's going wrong, and what you can do about it.

There are some problems to which testosterone is not the answer. Quite a lot, actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Despite all my rage Im still just a rat in a cage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

If you are only working this much for 3 months likely have unused tax credits for the other 9 months. This means you can have them applied and then reclaim the tax you have paid.

Also, who do you think pays for all your schooling? The stupid taxes of course! Comfort yourself with the knowledge that soon you will be back in college and us other poor dopes will still be opening our wages every month and seeing a large chunk has disappeared into the ether

"You're not the smartest"
    "Well I can fight you in a cage"

Cool. On another note, do you think that the broadening of college admissions to become the general norm is in fact a retrograde step? The quality of education suffers perhaps.

Points is the only thing that matters. You trying to sound smart now, would lose the attitude after being ko'd in a cage.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Perhaps stop wasting your money going to gyms that facilitate cage fighting.

And you know that whole free education thing you, or at the very least your classmates are getting? Tax pays for that. So stop wasting your time and brain cells rolling around in a cage. Work hard so you can pay your taxes that will provide the the next generation of ungrateful students free education.

The majority of them will be more concerned with gettibg boozed up and spending their money on that.

Exactly and I am not going out anywhere, I just want to save up.

Points is the only thing that matters. You trying to sound smart now, would lose the attitude after being ko'd in a cage.
    We're on an internet forum though. Do you think it's likely that we'll fight in a cage?

We're on an internet forum though.

I can arrange it at any time and day that suits you. Everything paid by me.

LOL

Deedsie wrote: »
    I don't care what you are doing. We all have to pay our taxes, it's a part of life. Grown ups accept this you will get there eventually.

Waffen SS also had to do their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

You'd wanna sort out your taxes before you go buying cage time :D

• Advertisement

PandaPoo wrote: »
    You'd wanna sort out your taxes before you go buying cage time :D

I have a gym membership already and I am allowed to bring a sparring partner.

OP, how do tax bands work? Like what happens if you move into a higher one?

You lube your ass and prepare for the schlong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

The OP needs to ring the revenue and stop thinking the tax will just sort itself out. I’d say he’s on a week 1 basis (that’s not emergency tax). If he leaves it well alone without bothering to find out I think he will get a rebate in 2020 when the tax office get around to it.

Your employer is misinforming you. Have you heard of the #metoo movement?

You're having a tough time here maintaining any sort of humour or likeability.

Good luck with the taxes.

You're having a tough time here maintaining any sort of humour or likeability.

Good luck with the taxes.

You can see the hostility from the first sentence and when you try to be nice, you get this kind of treatment. It's a shame that it never happens in real life. But I guess people go to their safe space online and go around insulting others because doing that in real life results in consequences. I hate this world and I am genuinely depressed after reading these posts. It increases my frustration and anger and genuinely makes me feel rage inside me and makes me want to hurt things. I end up doing stupid things and I would probably be in prison if I had that person in front of me. I treat everyone that I meet very nicely but if they start insulting me or hurting me in any way, I become like a maniac and end up doing stupid things which I later regret but the anger I get from these posts is unexplainable. It gets to the point where I'll follow that person and invest my time to just see them face to face and see what they say. It's hard to control because when you are trying to be nice, you get spit in your face. Yeah, people started telling me that I have become a cold person, no ****ing **** when I get treated like **** I become cold and emotionless. You ask for help and you get people ****ing insulting you for no damn reason, what the **** did I do to you for you to come here to insult me? Do you feel better? I had a **** life already and I really need more of this in my life. You try to make things work and evryone tries to **** it up in every way possible. I'll just go and insult a random person on the internet because **** him. Where's that person that said 99% people are nice from the other thread? I just asked a question and I was told that I am an idiot and I shouldn't be in college etc. I am a dumbass for not knowing how taxes work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

You can see the hostility from the first sentence and when you try to be nice, you get this kind of treatment. It's a shame that it never happens in real life. But I guess people go to their safe space online and go around insulting others because doing that in real life results in consequences. I hate this world and I am genuinely depressed after reading these posts. It increases my frustration and anger and genuinely makes me feel rage inside me and makes me want to hurt things. I end up doing stupid things and I would probably be in prison if I had that person in front of me. I treat everyone that I meet very nicely but if they start insulting me or hurting me in any way, I become like a maniac and end up doing stupid things which I later regret but the anger I get from these posts is unexplainable. It gets to the point where I'll follow that person and invest my time to just see them face to face and see what they say. It's hard to control because when you are trying to be nice, you get spit in your face. Yeah, people started telling me that I have become a cold person, no ****ing **** when I get treated like **** I become cold and emotionless.

I’m not getting at you - I don’t know if you’re joking or not tbh. But do ring the revenue. Have the payslip with you. You’re not the first person to ring them about your payslip. 1890 333425 is the number as far as remember.
    Chill. It’s afterhours. You get back what you throw at people. Cage fighting?? Jaysus. I’m too old.

coffeepls wrote: »
    I’m not getting at you - I don’t know if you’re joking or not tbh. But do ring the revenue. Have the payslip with you. You’re not the first person to ring them about your payslip. 1890 333425 is the number as far as remember.
    Chill. It’s afterhours. You get back what you throw at people. Cage fighting?? Jaysus. I’m too old.

Thank you for your help. I get back what I throw at people? What did I throw? I just asked a question and got immediate insults to my intelligence and people questioning as to how I got into higher education seeing as I am so retarded. They must have relaxed the rules and now accept retards like me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MOD: thread closed as it’s going nowhere.

OP - your aggressive attitude isn’t painting yourself in a good light, and using terms such as ‘raped’ isn’t helping your cause. Perhaps you should seek out anger management services (this is not a dig at you).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement