Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New forum member. Some questions.

Options
  • 31-05-2018 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi everybody,
    Apologies if there's a new member section and posting on this area as I can't find it! Great start eh.
    OK, myself, good lady Wife and two sprogs are coming to live in your area, hopefully before Xmas. Hoping to buy a renovation project within driving distance to Cork. 
    Just a quick bit of info about us...
    Me, daft as a brush. Love my Guinness and meeting folk and chatting. Ex electrical maintenance engineer. Now a keen D.I.Y. enthusiast. Love my plastering and plumbing, decorating etc. 
    The good lady well she's a chef. Currently cooking in one of Scotlands finest Chinese restaurants. She orders me to eat microwave dinners as she's too tired to cook at home!  
    Some quick fire questions. Appreciate your time and answers.
    What are the nice areas to live in County Cork? Thinking of a small Town that has decent schools for our kids.
    How do we get the PPS thingy? Is that like a UK National insurance number?
    If we take our car, what's the registration process?
    We intend to open a small restaurant stroke takeaway once were settled a bit and kids at school. Been to Ireland many times but always Dublin. Going to have a few days in County Cork in July to get a feel for the place. Love the atmosphere and friendliness of the Irish people. We've traveled around a lot in the last 15 years so want somewhere to settle and a bit of stability for the kids. Our thinking is Ireland is a good choice.
    Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ritchie2018

Hi,
    I'm unable to read my private messages for some reason!
    Could all replies please come to the thread. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,146 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Cork has some very different areas - Cork city, north Cork and west Cork are three very distinctive areas. Strongly suggest you rent for a year before making your mind up, it depends on what you want. Also rural Cork is very far removed (in every sense) from Dublin. Your experience in Dublin is not going to be exactly indicative of what you will find in Cork. Plenty of 'do up-able' places. Do some reading and talk to people before you buy though, and study the local development plan to find out what you can and cannot do. If somewhere seems to be unreasonably cheap there is no doubt a good reason. Building and planning regs have gone very strict, in fairness they needed tightening up, but they have gone a bit to the other extreme. Daft.ie will give you most of the houses for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

If youve a qual in mech ek, think Carrigalibe area.
    You can always land a gig in Ringaskiddy to pay for building materials which are gone through the roof. Plenty of do-er uppers down there. And a bit of a town. Traffic can ve sh1t3 though.

Thanks for the replies folks..

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Lose the guinness for a start!!!! its Murphy's down here, much more cultured pint.Scope the county out first, take a drive around for a week and see whats available, PPS should be handy enough to get but you need a residence or job, don't know much about car reg but revenue.ie will give you info. School could be difficult, depends on kids ages, Cork is like anywhere else, it's what you make of it yourself, but it is in general a wee bit more relaxed and laid back, probably because we know it'll take the rest of the world years to catch up with us.................................................

• Advertisement

nlrkjos wrote: »
    Lose the guinness for a start!!!! its Murphy's down here, much more cultured pint.Scope the county out first, take a drive around for a week and see whats available, PPS should be handy enough to get but you need a residence or job, don't know much about car reg but revenue.ie will give you info. School could be difficult, depends on kids ages, Cork is like anywhere else, it's what you make of it yourself, but it is in general a wee bit more relaxed and laid back, probably because we know it'll take the rest of the world years to catch up with us.................................................
    Hi,
    I'm fine with Murphy's. I love it.
    Isn't the PPS same as a UK National insurance number? I don't think we need jobs to get a PPS number. We're coming from the CTA (common travel area) with Ireland.
    Kids are 13 and 11. One at high school, one at Primary.
    Looking forward to visiting County Cork next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Hi,
    I'm fine with Murphy;s. I love it.
    Isn't the PPS same as a UK National insurance number? I don't think we need jobs to get a PPS number. We're coming from the CTA (common travel area) with Ireland.

Murphys is crap and tastes like watery Guinness - you need to drink Beamish.

And you will need to have a legitimate reason to get a PPS number. Once upon a time when Ireland was away with the fairies and had never heard of things like "welfare tourism" PPSNs used to be issued like confetti, but in recent years, the process has been tightened up.

For starters, you'll need to have an Irish address and proof that you're living there. And you can't apply in advance.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/personal_public_service_number.html

Hi Squatter,

Of course. We're selling up here and buying property in Ireland and hopefully starting up a new business. This is a permanent move. Already opened our bank accounts with Bank of Ireland who were very helpful.
    We don't claim benefits we invest and work at our lifestyle.
    According to what I'm reading we need a PPS number to pay the LPT (local property tax) on the house we will buy. The estate agent I've been speaking to, told us that too. 

Sorry, don't like Beamish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Hi Squatter,
    Of course. We're selling up here and buying property in Ireland and hopefully starting up a new business. This is a permanent move. Already opened our bank accounts with Bank of Ireland who were very helpful.

Well, you and your missus will need a PPS number to register your Irish property purchase and you will have a legitimate reason to acquire one, so you'll get it.

You'll need PPSNs for the kids too before you can register them for schools.

You'll also need a wife licence which can be picked up in any Post Office for €5.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

https://purecork.ie/ harbour area ...nice area Squatter is right on the Beamish, really nice pint....I drink it when I'm on the dry !

• Advertisement

Squatter wrote: »
    Hi Squatter,

Well, you and your missus will need a PPS number to register your Irish property purchase and you will have a legitimate reason to acquire one, so you'll get it.

You'll need PPSNs for the kids too before you can register them for schools.

You'll also need a wife licence which can be picked up in any Post Office for €5.00.
    Ok...Squatter. Gotcha.
    A Wife licence? Is that similar to the telly licence? Only difference you can turn the telly off and don't need to listen to it all night!

nlrkjos wrote: »
    https://purecork.ie/ harbour area ...nice area Squatter is right on the Beamish, really nice pint....I drink it when I'm on the dry !
    Hi,
    She's got this mad idea about growing veg and stuff. So wants a cottage with a wee bit of land. I'm happy if it's walking distance to a pub. I'll try Beamish. Try anything once.
    Wow, just clicked on your link. That's some beautiful scenery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Few years ago, was out with a buddy for a few scoops.i bought 2 pints of murphys on my rounds
    In his rounds, i thought the pints were a bit off. Turned out he was buying fcuking Beamish to save 30c each round.

Cnut.
    Im still not over it.

Advertisement