Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two teenage boys drowned in Quarry on the Knockanean road

Options
  • 31-05-2018 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,272 ✭✭✭✭

RIP to the two kids involved and my deepest sympathies to their families.

I grew up near this area and we were always warned to never ever swim in that quarry because the water is stagnant and there's little bouyancy there.

This was always local knowledge, but I can't remember ever seeing any warning signs or even lifebouys around the edge of that 'lake'.

There are a lot of families tonight who are experiencing the darkest moments of their lives and my heart goes out to them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Sympathies to both families and circle of friends.

There are plenty of warning signs around the lake but Teenagers been teenagers don't tend to take notice to such warnings whether from a sign or parent/guardian. There are no lifebuoys as it is frequented area for teenagers to swim maybe this tragedy might see some erected.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Not the first to have died in the lake unfortunately. It’s well sign posted that their is no swimming in the area and the entrance is blocked as well which I believe hampered emergency devices.

Even worse, I’m told lads went swimming there later this evening. Stupidity of the highest order

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Akrasia wrote: »
    RIP to the two kids involved and my deepest sympathies to their families.

I grew up near this area and we were always warned to never ever swim in that quarry because the water is stagnant and there's little bouyancy there.

I heard about this tragic event and i was wondering what would be unsafe about swimming in a quarry.to me its just a big pool of calm water.
    But i guess not.
    R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,272 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I heard about this tragic event and i was wondering what would be unsafe about swimming in a quarry.to me its just a big pool of calm water.
    But i guess not.
    R.I.P.

I don't know how much science there was behind what we were told as kids.

Thinking about it now, It probably isn't because of the bouyancy, but because its a man made hole that just filled with water, it has steep sides and unpredictable depth. A normal lake will silt up with mud as its fed by the river but this lake is not natural and the kids might have been caught out and fell into a submerged hole. Combine this with cold water at depth early in the season after a cold spring and its an added danger.

Whatever happened today, it was a tragic accident and someone really should put lifebouys there to protect the invincible children who don't appreciate the risks until they become a reality

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

Irish Water Safety and local councils may not want to put ringbuoys in dangerous swimming areas as people may think its then safe to swim there! Some may think if there is a ringbuoy its ok to swim...
    RIP to the young boys

• Advertisement
Advertisement