Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it legal to drive your friends in the back of a commersial vehicle?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

No seatbelts, insurance only covers you for one passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yes illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Know of two crashes resulting in death in one case and paralysis in another carrying passengers like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

It's ok, because he's already disabled - must have lost his legs in a previous accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kensei

I specifically meant ILLEGAL, not uninsured. Meaning can the police stop you and fine you. Cuz information on that topic is pretty scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Badger2009

Thought I opened After Hours there for a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's only legal if they're sitting on a load of turf. Or hay

So if I present my friends as workers and have a box of tools in the car saying that we're going to fix some ghostly malfunctions in a phantom town, then it's ok. But if it's just 3 dudes in the back then it's not ok? Does that mean I'll get fined or are these just the insurance coverage rules?

I couldn't find anything specifically addressing this. So my guess was that you can't be fined if stopped while having people in the back.

Some people here say no, others say yes. Could anyone drop me a link to the specific piece of legislation that forbids this kind of use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Kensei wrote: »
    So if I present my friends as workers and have a box of tools in the car saying that we're going to fix some ghostly malfunctions in a phantom town, then it's ok. But if it's just 3 dudes in the back then it's not ok? Does that mean I'll get fined or are these just the insurance coverage rules?

I couldn't find anything specifically addressing this. So my guess was that you can't be fined if stopped while having people in the back.

Some people here say no, others say yes. Could anyone drop me a link to the specific piece of legislation that forbids this kind of use?

Link?

Contact your insurance show them this thread and let us know what they say.

• Advertisement

I think the Yes are taking the piss. Brother in law has a commercial van....its not legal, simple as.

Ok, thanks. This sux :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Kensei wrote:
    I specifically meant ILLEGAL, not uninsured. Meaning can the police stop you and fine you. Cuz information on that topic is pretty scarce.

Its scarce because it should be common sense.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Ok, thanks. This sux :D

It would also suck if you had an accident and your friends in the back were killed or badly injured and their deaths or injuries could have been prevented if they were wearing seatbelts.

11 (3) part c .....Road Transport Act.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1932/act/2/enacted/en/print#sec11

Not specific but covers as the equipment used is not suitable for tranporting passengers in the back

aido79 wrote: »
    It would also suck if you had an accident and your friends in the back were killed or badly injured and their deaths or injuries could have been prevented if they were wearing seatbelts.

Yes I'm sure an incident involving a 2.5 ton vehicle and presumably ~80 km/h would never be fatal thanks to 4 polyester bands designed to crush your rib cage. Also I've yet to see one person wear a seatbelt in the back.

My sentiments on seatbelt safety aside, it would also suck if you tripped on a staircase and broke your neck, but I'm sure you're not running for the handrail every time you have to go up.

Edit: Thanks 368100

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

This is why Crew Cabs exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Yes I'm sure an incident involving a 2.5 ton vehicle and presumably ~80 km/h would never be fatal thanks to 4 polyester bands designed to crush your rib cage. Also I've yet to see one person wear a seatbelt in the back.

My sentiments on seatbelt safety aside, it would also suck if you tripped on a staircase and broke your neck, but I'm sure you're not running for the handrail every time you have to go up.

Are you actually trying to say that it's not safe to wear a seat belt?

They are not designed to crush your rib cage, they are designed to save lives. Cars are not designed to crash, but they do. Your analogy is idiotic at best.

Look at the following video of all the ping pong balls and tell me again what you think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Also I've yet to see one person wear a seatbelt in the back.

Do you live on an island where's there's only 1 other car or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Kimbot wrote: »
    Do you live on an island where's there's only 1 other car or something??
    Lives under a bridge. There's only room for one car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Sorry. I can't take you seriously after reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

This has to be a wind up.

If the passengers in the back are under 17/18 not sure which, you get the fine for each for not having a seatbelt. Not sure about what else could happen.

If they're over 17/18 they get the fine and more than likely told to walk the rest of the journey

• Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

tcawley29 wrote: »
    This has to be a wind up.

If the passengers in the back are under 17/18 not sure which, you get the fine for each for not having a seatbelt. Not sure about what else could happen.

If they're over 17/18 they get the fine and more than likely told to walk the rest of the journey

Won't happen as my car doesn't move then everyone clicks in. I've a friend who I always have to remind:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

endacl wrote: »
    Lives under a bridge.

I thought so too.

It may be a legal grey area OP but it really is a common sense answer, so I'm going to close this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement