Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ sports

Options
  • 31-05-2018 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys, there could already be a thread on this. But in the recent controversy of RTÉ showing the royal wedding rather than GAA games. Is there interest/ possibility of RTÉ ever having its own dedicated sports channel for GAA games/ league of Ireland/ World Cup/ Olympics etc. it’s be a good showcase for Irish sport and allows RTÉ to have other programming throughout the day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Was there a controversy ?

The wedding was free to RTE, and there were no GAA games clashing with it.

There are the same number of GAA games on RTE this year as last.

Now there are more senior inter county GAA games this year due to structural changes, so there is a smaller precentage of games on TV, but that's because the structural change was made on the middle rather than the start of the TV contract.

As for a dedicated sports channel.

No way, the market is just not big enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭brian_t

Was there a controversy ?

The wedding was free to RTE, and there were no GAA games clashing with it.

RTE1 never shows sport in that time slot anyway. 11.30am - 1.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 81,218 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

€11.36 of your TV licence fee each year goes to fund 2 orchestras, probably more than spent on soccer coverage for the entire year...entertainment for the few, not the many, so no never.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

€11.36 of your TV licence fee each year goes to fund 2 orchestras, probably more than spent on soccer coverage for the entire year...entertainment for the few, not the many, so no never.

:eek:

Is it seriously that much!

That is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

NIMAN wrote: »

That is shocking.

Shocking if true. Something I will never ever go and watch/listen to, and money is being wasted on it for the tiny percentage of people that have seen them. Why can't it tour Ireland more, and get money from sponsorship and ticket sales instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

showing ice hockey would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 81,218 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

NIMAN wrote: »

That is shocking.
    iseegirls wrote: »
    Shocking if true. Something I will never ever go and watch/listen to, and money is being wasted on it for the tiny percentage of people that have seen them. Why can't it tour Ireland more, and get money from sponsorship and ticket sales instead?

7.1% of the licence fee goes to the orchestras, 7.1% of €160 is €11.36, unbelievable but true so to speak :pac:
    In 2016, the orchestras received 7.1% of RTɒs licence fee revenue, totalling €12.7 million. Accounts showed that the orchestras costs were €15.6 million, resulting in a €2.9 million deficit for the segment.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/rte-orchestras-review-3974047-Apr2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

sugarman wrote: »
    Not a hope.

Sure they have the option of televising at least one LOI game a week as is and they cant be arsed taking it up. Theres minimal effort and costs to cover any of the Dublin based teams, given they themselves are Dublin based.

I'm pretty sure they've the option of covering every single game if they wanted, it's not like other broadcasters want it.

Also RTÉs audience drops significantly when showing LOI games. When you consider they're on a pretty primetime spot on Friday evenings when you'd expect large audience figures, you can sort of understand how RTÉ aren't dying to broadcast a game a week.

Add on top of that that several clubs have in the past asked not to be televised as they reckon it impacts ticket sales.

Before anyone jumps on me, I say all this as a League of Ireland fan who regularly attends games. I see the same things said in the GAA; "televise all these games with a few hundred people at them, and interest will magically skyrocket". It's a very simplistic "answer" that totally ignores the underlying structural deficiencies in hurling/soccer/football.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

They'll probably announce a dedicated Rugby channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

They'll probably announce a dedicated Rugby channel.

So you haven't noticed that RTE have lost/surrendered rugby coverage at a rate of knots in the last few years then?

• Advertisement

cython wrote: »
    So you haven't noticed that RTE have lost/surrendered rugby coverage at a rate of knots in the last few years then?

Aware of them losing rights, due to competition from other broadcasters.

Wasn't aware of the "surrendered rugby". Do you have any more information on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭TheDavester

sure if Ryle Nugent wasn't leaving, he'd insist it be 90% rugby, showing Rosscommon under 14's rugby games instead of any other sport

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Aware of them losing rights, due to competition from other broadcasters.

Wasn't aware of the "surrendered rugby". Do you have any more information on this?

Few years old, but: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro12/rté-still-in-mix-for-rugby-world-cup-tv-rights-1.1740847
    Having withdrawn from the bidding for rights to the Pro12 on foot of Sky securing 30 matches per season, thereby leaving the field clear for TG4 to go on televising that competition along with BBC Northern Ireland, the national broadcaster have evidently prioritised the World Cup in England, along with the November Internationals and the Six Nations.

For me withdrawing from the bid process is effectively surrendering coverage. Regardless, my original observation was more a commentary on the speciousness of your post than anything else.

Few years old, but: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro12/rté-still-in-mix-for-rugby-world-cup-tv-rights-1.1740847

For me withdrawing from the bid process is effectively surrendering coverage. Regardless, my original observation was more a commentary on the speciousness of your post than anything else.

Unsure if I'm reading this right, but this seems to indicate that they were prioritising Rugby. ..over. ...ehh Rugby (which I think they eventually lost due to competition from tv3 ).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

People seem to think RTE are there to serve the people at large. i.e the licence fee payer.
    You couldn't be more mistaken. RTE are there for the benefit of its employees. They have no real interest in anything else. RTE has actually a huge sports department but most of the money is spent on salaries. What they all do is a mystery.
    Over 45% of output on RTE television is repeats.
    I'd say they can't believe they are still getting away with this con job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Herpes Free Since03

Unsure if I'm reading this right, but this seems to indicate that they were prioritising Rugby. ..over. ...ehh Rugby (which I think they eventually lost due to competition from tv3 ).

RTE prioritise GAA and Football...they pulled out of club rugby bidding as they wanted to try to get the rugby world cup... TV3 have no such constraints and outbid them for the WC and 6n

Unfortunately, when it comes to bids...the reality of HD broadcasting as opposed to VCR recording quality doesn't come into it, so TV3 always had the edge. Why upgrade your network if there's no penalties for not doing so .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

That's because Ryle 'Tommy Boooowe' Nugent left. Good thing too, if he had is way it would be just rugby on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

There is Eir sports which shows a certain amount of domestic soccer, GAA and rugby.

Advertisement