Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customising an IKEA Pax Wardrobe

Options
  • 31-05-2018 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Howdy all, anyone ever have an experience customising an Ikea pax wardrobe?

I have a slight conundrum ... the place where I’m puttinh the wardrobe is a narrow hallway, which means I have to go for the smaller 35cm depth wardrobe (58cm is the alt), however my issue is some of the internal shelving addons are only available in the 58cm format.

Basically I want to add this and this to the 35cm one... I’m considering doing a hack job on this by literally cutting them in half and using a 35cm runner... but just wondering if anyone has any experience doing that or customising these parts before. They’re cheap enough so I think it’s be worth a shot..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Those items don't look like they downsize easily.

Have you looked at other ranges like a cutely tray or kitchen units or a chest of drawers?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How are you going to cut the Glass shelf in half and also a tray with which has compartments?

It will end up looking awful tbh. Id custom some shelfs from scratch MDF and paint them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

listermint wrote: »
    How are you going to cut the Glass shelf in half and also a tray with which has compartments?

It will end up looking awful tbh. Id custom some shelfs from scratch MDF and paint them tbh.

Yeah the glass tray was stupid... thought that as soon as I posted. I can just buy a 100cm x 35cm glass shelf with edges and throw it in there for cheap enough.

The inserts I won’t be buying or cutting either - just the wooden tray part. I linked the wrong page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭hesker

Making your own from MDF is probably the best way alright.

Unless you have a high speed table saw you’ll end up with ragged cuts in laminated chipboard which is what IKEA stuff is made from.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Jaysus, that shelf compartment thing can't be a hundred quid can it!:eek:

I had one of those wardrobes in my last place - the standard drawers would be very handy to cut down, the rollers they slide on though, not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Some of the Ikea stuff is made of a melamine faced cardboard honeycomb type core. Frames more so than shelves maybe, but they're don't cut well at all.

Jaysus, that shelf compartment thing can't be a hundred quid can it!:eek:

I had one of those wardrobes in my last place - the standard drawers would be very handy to cut down, the rollers they slide on though, not so much.

It’s actually €25... the felt insert thingies are €75 :eek:

Needless to say I’m not buying them. I’d just be buying the €25 tray - inserts I can get elsewhere.

hesker wrote: »
    Making your own from MDF is probably the best way alright.

Unless you have a high speed table saw you’ll end up with ragged cuts in laminated chipboard which is what IKEA stuff is made from.

Yeah I have access to one... not mine. Also the “cut” end would be at the back and I’d reserve the back section and reattach for clean finish, but the reality is you won’t see the back anyway with the inserts sitting on the top of the tray :pac:

lgk wrote: »
    Some of the Ikea stuff is made of a melamine faced cardboard honeycomb type core. Frames more so than shelves maybe, but they're don't cut well at all.

Yeah was thinking that... but for €25 kinda worth a gamble. My problem with making something from scratch is it just won’t have the same finish as everything else.

My biggest issue is that the 35cm runners might not work here, i.e it might not extend out fully for functionality.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'm fairly sure you'd buy wrapped panels edged on two (or more) sides for less than the price of the Pax wardrobe you intend to rip.

You'd more than likely find the panels are thicker with a thicker wrap/edging than the Pax too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement