Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sentencing in case of taking law into one's own hands.

Options
  • 31-05-2018 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

In 2004, a Limerick mother-of-six was sentence to four years imprisonment for killing a man who had bitten her husband in the face.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/motherofsix-gets-four-years-for-fatal-stabbing-26016319.html

Before imposing sentence Judge Carroll Moran said he accepted that Mrs Craig was a dedicated mother but he had to respect the verdict of the jury.
    The judge said it was not self-defence as Mrs Craig had time to go and get the knife which "she must have thrust into the chest of the deceased with force" given the depth of the fatal wound.

My questions are:

Why would the judge think that the sentence he was going to impose had anything to do with respect for the jury's verdict? After all, there is no mandatory minimum sentence for manslaughter.

What might have stopped jurors from acquitting the defendant because of the thought that the deceased "deserved it"?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You should probably take it to legal discussion to be honest

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=633

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭political analyst

You should probably take it to legal discussion to be honest

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=633

Apologies.

Previously, a thread that I had started in Legal Discussion was shut down after a few posts. But I shouldn't have let that put me off. Is it possible to have this thread moved to that forum?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Apologies.

Previously, a thread that I had started in Legal Discussion was shut down after a few posts. But I shouldn't have let that put me off. Is it possible to have this thread moved to that forum?

You could report your first post and ask it to be moved, or PM one of the online mods directly, might be handier

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why would the judge think that the sentence he was going to impose had anything to do with respect for the jury's verdict? After all, there is no mandatory minimum sentence for manslaughter.
    Manslaughter is a serious conviction. His implication is that allowing for a lenient sentence because she is a "dedicated mother", would be disrespectful of the jury's unanimous finding of guilt. That is, they have found her guilty of a very serious crime, if the judge were to impose a nothing sentence then it would erode the importance and authority of the jury.
    What might have stopped jurors from acquitting the defendant because of the thought that the deceased "deserved it"?
    The fact that it's not a defence to killing someone.

Aside, googling that case you find the whole thing is a mess, and seems like a case of feuding Limerick families. One man was jailed for sending her death threats while she awaited trial.
    10 days after she was found guilty, her brother was stabbed to death, and another man went to jail for murder.

A lot of ruined families over petty nonsense.

seamus wrote: »
    Manslaughter is a serious conviction. His implication is that allowing for a lenient sentence because she is a "dedicated mother", would be disrespectful of the jury's unanimous finding of guilt. That is, they have found her guilty of a very serious crime, if the judge were to impose a nothing sentence then it would erode the importance and authority of the jury.

Aside, googling that case you find the whole thing is a mess, and seems like a case of feuding Limerick families. One man was jailed for sending her death threats while she awaited trial.
    10 days after she was found guilty, her brother was stabbed to death, and another man went to jail for murder.

OT, Seamus, but your new avatar is disturbing

• Advertisement

The reason I mentioned the idea of thinking that a person stabbed to death "deserved it" is that the deceased had bitten the defendant's husband in the face.

I'm aware that there is such a thing as "jury nullification" - that's what I was driving at.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Batman?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The reason I mentioned the idea of thinking that a person stabbed to death "deserved it" is that the deceased had bitten the defendant's husband in the face.

I'm aware that there is such a thing as "jury nullification" - that's what I was driving at.
    Sure, but that is slightly different.
    Jury nullification really comes into play when a jury disagrees with the application of the law, or the sentence that comes with a guilty verdict.

It's not really the same thing when the jury decides that an particular argument is a defence, even though the law says it's not. That's the jury rewriting law as opposed to nullifying it.

That said, there's no practical difference; a jury could in theory return a not guilty verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,171 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Did he also get a 4-year sentence and a kind word from the judge for being a good father?

BTW, OP, how are you only receiving news from 2004 now? You living in Athlone or something? Wait til you get a load of this new Facebook thing in a few years

Did he also get a 4-year sentence and a kind word from the judge for being a good father?

BTW, OP, how are you only receiving news from 2004 now? You living in Athlone or something? Wait til you get a load of this new Facebook thing in a few years

I remember reading about it at the time. It's only now that I've thought of starting a thread on it.

I know it's a random OP. But isn't that what After Hours is for?

• Advertisement
Advertisement