Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hear scheme

Options
  • 31-05-2018 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Just wondering on my cao my first choice is 455 commerce in ucc and my second is business in ul , with the hear scheme how many pints would I need to get to get into them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭MFlack2012

John corn wrote: »
    Just wondering on my cao my first choice is 455 commerce in ucc and my second is business in ul , with the hear scheme how many pints would I need to get to get into them

I worked with the HEAR Schemes in TCD for a while. But it was a while ago. From when I worked with them, it offered 20% off points in a course. You have to be accepted on the HEAR scheme firstly as it's not given to everyone. If you have anymore questions, let me know :) It's been a while but I've gone through every scheme (and worked with them) and most of the colleges and uni's at this stage in my life so have a fair bit of knowledge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 John corn

MFlack2012 wrote: »
    I worked with the HEAR Schemes in TCD for a while. But it was a while ago. From when I worked with them, it offered 20% off points in a course. You have to be accepted on the HEAR scheme firstly as it's not given to everyone. If you have anymore questions, let me know :) It's been a while but I've gone through every scheme (and worked with them) and most of the colleges and uni's at this stage in my life so have a fair bit of knowledge :D

Thanks so much for your reply.my brother was eligible so I think I should be aswell, so would u have any idea about what the minimum I would need for those two courses btw the points for my second choice is 419

Thanks so much for your reply.my brother was eligible so I think I should be aswell, so would u have any idea about what the minimum I would need for those two courses btw the points for my second choice is 419

It depends on other factors as well as means tested. So apart from your parents income, you must also meet other criteria. The points for each course go up and down each year, for every course. The points for each course depends on the amount of people wanting a place and applying for a place on that particular course.

So if the points for your 2nd choice was 419 last year, it could go up this year or it could go down. 20% of the 419 is approximately 80 points off the 419. So you'd be looking at about 340. So taking into account the points shifting, you should aim for 360. But the more points you get the better.

So say someone applies for the same course as you and it is between you and them, the points required means very little as let's say you get 360 and are eligible, that other person may get 450 and they would be accepted over you.

However, in saying that, each course has a small percentage of places available for HEAR students. So there may be two or three places held for a HEAR or DARE student.

It depends on other factors as well as means tested. So apart from your parents income, you must also meet other criteria. The points for each course go up and down each year, for every course. The points for each course depends on the amount of people wanting a place and applying for a place on that particular course.

So if the points for your 2nd choice was 419 last year, it could go up this year or it could go down. 20% of the 419 is approximately 80 points off the 419. So you'd be looking at about 340. So taking into account the points shifting, you should aim for 360. But the more points you get the better.

So say someone applies for the same course as you and it is between you and them, the points required means very little as let's say you get 360 and are eligible, that other person may get 450 and they would be accepted over you.

However, in saying that, each course has a small percentage of places available for HEAR students. So there may be two or three places held for a HEAR or DARE student.

Ohhh perfect I get it know, thanks so much for your reply it was a great help (:

Ohhh perfect I get it know, thanks so much for your reply it was a great help (:

No problem at all. Let me know if you've anymore questions and best of luck.

• Advertisement

No problem at all. Let me know if you've anymore questions and best of luck.

Also what is the hear orientation and what happens during it, btw thanks for answering all my questions it’s just that the careers teacher in my school has been on maternity leave since Christmas and we were unable to get a replacement

Also what is the hear orientation and what happens during it, btw thanks for answering all my questions it’s just that the careers teacher in my school has been on maternity leave since Christmas and we were unable to get a replacement

Hear orientation is a week before you start college, where you'll be introduced to college, given a tour of the campus and show u the classes etc.

No problem at all, always remember that they weren't very informative 😊 any questions feel free to ask.

Advertisement