Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor insurance - two cars

Options
  • 31-05-2018 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Is it possible to have two cars insured for the same person. For the purpose of cheaper insurance, a son or daughter would be named driver on one of the cars.

Also, if you work with horses is it loaded and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Cannot answer the second question but can answer the first. The answer is yes but it would be two separate car insurance policies. We have 3 cars at the house under two owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Yes but on the second car you will have no no claims bonus and it will have to be built up the same as starting driving. I thought they were clamping down on the named driver especially when the named driver is the main driver?

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Yes but on the second car you will have no no claims bonus and it will have to be built up the same as starting driving. I thought they were clamping down on the named driver especially when the named driver is the main driver?

Not true, I have Full NCD on both policies, named driver was only recently added

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Not true, I have Full NCD on both policies, named driver was only recently added
    How long have you the second car? You can't have a full no claims bonus on both cars as you'll have to build it up on the second car. I've a second car since 2013 and that was how it worked.

How long have you the second car? You can't have a full no claims bonus on both cars as you'll have to build it up on the second car. I've a second car since 2013 and that was how it worked.

The quote I paid is based on 5 yrs NCB. I pleaded a case that I built up the NCB not the car. I paid circa 350€ on each. Given sensitivities of the issue I won't be divulging the insurer.........
    Insurance taken out in 2017

• Advertisement

It's very rare in Ireland but sometimes a very odd company will mirror a no claims bonus, this should be standard as you should be able to apply your no claims bonus to as many cars as you want but unfortunately in Ireland's insurance cartel it's rarely possible.

I know insuremyvan do it (or claim to do it anyway) so you can insure a car and a van with just one ncb.

Advertisement