Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sealant between curb and tarmac?

Options
  • 31-05-2018 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

There is a small gap between the curb and the road all along the house.

Weeds are growing continuously, and I'm pulling them weekly.

I was thinking of getting some black self levelling sealant to fill this gap, possibly polyurethane.

Obviously would need to clean out the gap before applying.

Good idea / bad idea? Any alternatives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭wait4me

I have a somewhat linked question.

I have a slight gap between my path around my house and the house plinth. I was going to use expanding foam and trim off the excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

wait4me wrote: »

I have a slight gap between my path around my house and the house plinth. I was going to use expanding foam and trim off the excess.

Why ? wouldnt that just catch dirt and weeds in it and same growth and when you want to clean it out youd pull out the foam.

I was hoping that I would trim it level with the path so as to have no gap for anything to grow - from below or on top of the foam.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I was hoping that I would trim it level with the path so as to have no gap for anything to grow - from below or on top of the foam.

Once you trim expanding foam it exposes all of the air holes inside it, lovely little dirt catchers for weeds to catch into.

For me it would be a no. Would even just stick sand in it tbh and use weedkiller should it ever be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Masala

Similiar problem here ... only with Wood Lice that come out at night and crawl up the walls. Gawd... I hate Wood Lice. Reminds me of when I was young and had to stay over in my granny's and they were falling down on our bed from the bedroom ceiling !!!

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Once you trim expanding foam it exposes all of the air holes inside it, lovely little dirt catchers for weeds to catch into.

For me it would be a no. Would even just stick sand in it tbh and use weedkiller should it ever be needed.

Ah yes - thanks - I never thought of that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

EF is not UV tolerant

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

You could just use a sand a cement mix and you can buy cement die to make it black if thats what you want.

But before you fill the hole just let the weeds grow for a week then soak the area with a strong weed killer. Let the stuff take effect to kill the roots.
    Then fill the hole. If you fill the hole now you may have the weeds grow up through the edges anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

You could just use a sand a cement mix and you can buy cement die to make it black if thats what you want.

But before you fill the hole just let the weeds grow for a week then soak the area with a strong weed killer. Let the stuff take effect to kill the roots.
    Then fill the hole. If you fill the hole now you may have the weeds grow up through the edges anyway.

I was thinking about that, but the gap is so small and it would be a pain to try to fill it unless you used a butter knife!

I figured If I could use the gun it would be easier to get right without all the mess, probably more expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Jointex or Rompox or similar. Pull as many weeds as you can, spray with weed killer, leave it a night or two and brush the joint puller in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

colm_c wrote: »
    I was thinking about that, but the gap is so small and it would be a pain to try to fill it unless you used a butter knife!
    Mmm, butter. How about an icing bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The proper way to do this would be to melt some tar and pour it along the edge, this will both seal and fill the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There is a small gap between the curb and the road all along the house.

Weeds are growing continuously, and I'm pulling them weekly....
    Just get a 5L sprayer in your local hardware shop and spray RoundUp every 2 weeks or so. Once you've got rid of the initial weeds, you're basically nipping any new weeds in the bud before they grow to any size.

That's what I do along the street where I live. It only takes a few minutes and in my opinion, it's much easier than trying to fill gaps.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The proper way to do this would be to melt some tar and pour it along the edge, this will both seal and fill the gap.

Yep, but very messy unless you've done it before.
    Just get a 5L sprayer in your local hardware shop and spray RoundUp every 2 weeks or so. Once you've got rid of the initial weeds, you're basically nipping any new weeds in the bud before they grow to any size.

That's what I do along the street where I live. It only takes a few minutes and in my opinion, it's much easier than trying to fill gaps.

Initial weeds are gone, but having to pull weeds every week is a pain, as soon as you pull them up they reappear. I'd prefer a more permanent solution.

There's about 10 metres of curb (end house) so takes a minimum of 15 minutes each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....Initial weeds are gone, but having to pull weeds every week is a pain, as soon as you pull them up they reappear. .
    Gone as in the greenery is gone? If you don't pull out the roots also, you're wasting your time as they'll keep growing. Round Up will kill the roots so any further weeds will only be new ones. Even if you put in some sort of sealant, small weeds will continue to grow as some dirt will accumulate. To prevent that, you'll have to sweep it every few days. Hence the reason I find weedkiller most effective. I do several hundred metres in my area every couple of weeks.

Gone as in the greenery is gone? If you don't pull out the roots also, you're wasting your time as they'll keep growing. Round Up will kill the roots so any further weeds will only be new ones. Even if you put in some sort of sealant, small weeds will continue to grow as some dirt will accumulate. To prevent that, you'll have to sweep it every few days. Hence the reason I find weedkiller most effective. I do several hundred metres in my area every couple of weeks.

The whole shebang, roots and all.

There are a few deep gaps where the majority of the weeds grow, if I got that filled then I'd say I'd have 90% less work to do.

This is the product I'm thinking about using:

https://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.co.uk/manufacturers/sika/sealants_and_adhesives/sika_sikaflex_pro_3_sl_self_levelling_floor_joint_sealant_600ml_pro3_black_P29196.html

Advertisement