Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 walking day route for the Camino

Options
  • 31-05-2018 6:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hello All, Planning to travel to Santiago de Compestela on a Sunday morning and home 8 days later. This will give me 7 days walking, I am looking for recommendations for a route covering about 18-20 miles/day. It doesn't have to be the French route once I can get there on the Sunday from Santiago. Many Thanks Cindyss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Cindyss wrote: »
    Hello All, Planning to travel to Santiago de Compestela on a Sunday morning and home 8 days later. This will give me 7 days walking, I am looking for recommendations for a route covering about 18-20 miles/day. It doesn't have to be the French route once I can get there on the Sunday from Santiago. Many Thanks Cindyss

When are you going? The last 100km into Santiago can be very crowded in the summer months and the experience might be diluted depending on what you are looking for.

The English camino starting in Ferrol may be a quieter option.

Are you sure you are going to do 20 miles or 20km a day? 32km is quite a distance especially if the terrain is up and down and the weather could be hot.

Loads of resources on the web for this.
    https://caminoways.com/ways/english-way-camino-ingles

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Cindyss

When are you going? The last 100km into Santiago can be very crowded in the summer months and the experience might be diluted depending on what you are looking for.

The English camino starting in Ferrol may be a quieter option.

Are you sure you are going to do 20 miles or 20km a day? 32km is quite a distance especially if the terrain is up and down and the weather could be hot.

Loads of resources on the web for this.
    https://caminoways.com/ways/english-way-camino-ingles

Hello tigerandshalf thanks for the reply going mid September hoping it will not be too busy. Fitness wise 32k a day is fine, I do a nice lot of hiking, running etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It is a shame that the Compostela will only be granted provided you walk the LAST 100k.

That really means that that stretch from Sarria will always be overcrowded. But who am I to say they should change the rules!

If you are not that bothered by getting a Compostela (and you could always get one at another time), then research what stages might suit you along the way.

I agree with a PP that Ferrol to S de C is an option, but it doesn't have the same Albergue infrastructure that the Camino Frances has. That may be a good thing!

Check this site out and post your query, I have found them excellent. (mostly!)

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-ingles.23/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Cindyss wrote: »
    Hello tigerandshalf thanks for the reply going mid September hoping it will not be too busy. Fitness wise 32k a day is fine, I do a nice lot of hiking, running etc

Mid September can still be very busy. It is a time when a lot of folk do it who are passed raising kids and want to avoid the summer travel peak. Weather can also be quite warm but much more pleasant than July/August.

I didn't do the latter stages. I did the first 6 or 7 stages from the French border - fabulous scenery and all the stages are through open countryside with a great variety of views.

32km is a lot of walking each day - with a couple of breaks for food/coffee - you are talking about 6 - 8 hours from beginning to end depending on how long you stop for. Hostels can also fill up early and it may be a worry to secure a bed if arriving later.

Personally I liked doing about 20km, have a couple of nice coffee breaks and chats and then arrive at the destination around 12 - 2pm with plenty time to wash, eat and explore the place. I also run regularly but 20km was enough for my feet especially as I was also carrying a rucksack.

Be mindful that sometimes towns are spaced a good bit apart and going through a town at 22km, the next town could be another 15km ahead. The Brierley guidebook is a good resource to plan your stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

The Northern Camino from Ribadeo back to Santiago at about 190kms. Guidebook reckons 8 days so you'll need to gain a little on that each day.
    I walk a lot here too btw but find walking the camino with a backpack seems to put a strain on muscles and joints I never have a problem with here, so watch out for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The route from Santiago-Muxia - Finisterre is a lovely route and less crowded. More scenic than Sarria - Santiago (Finisterre was busy)

Not sure if it would be challenging enough for you though.

Did it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Cindyss

Hi all, looking at doing the ingles route, should be finished in four days. Called to st James church yesterday and got lots of info and my pilgrim passport. Will also get a bus to muxia and walk to finestre before getting a bus back to sdc thanks for all the help will keep you updated

Advertisement