Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company refuse la to cancel contract

Options
  • 30-05-2018 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I have signed up to a company. Last year.
    Apparently I 'accidentally' signed up for something you had to pay for.
    For the last year every month I have been charged €150 a month.
    I found out four months ago and have asked them sevenral times to cancel. They haven't.
    What should I do

I have gone to the bank to tell them to stop paying the company. They have refused to stop, I have to go to the company and cancel.

If this breaks the law can you show me. What spacific law it breaks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Have you checked the T&Cs, the subscription email confirmation or the cancellation policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Apparently I 'accidentally' signed up for something you had to pay for.
    For the last year every month I have been charged €150 a month.
    I found out four months ago and have asked them sevenral times to cancel.

I'm more amazed at how someone pays €150 a month for 8? months and does not know they have.

Seriously though there could be issues around how you signed up to it and how the T&Cs were conveyed to you, was there tick boxs involved etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

I have gone to the bank to tell them to stop paying the company. They have refused to stop, I have to go to the company and cancel.

How did you pay the company, was it by Standing Order, Direct Debit or debit/credit card?

SEPA rules specifically allow any customer to cancel a direct debit and also to request a refund of any direct debit made in the last eight weeks (Banking & Payments Federation of Ireland) Most banks allow you to cancel a direct debit online.

If it was by standing order, you've no protection that I'm aware of you but can cancel it at any time. Most banks allow you to do this online.

If you paid by debit/credit card, it's a little complicated. You will definitely be able to issue a stop instruction on a recurring payment agreement. You may also be able to request a chargeback on any transaction executed in the last six months. You don't have the same open-ended ability to chargeback like you do with direct debit though.

Of course, that doesn't help you because you may still owe the company money so they can still persue you in other ways but at least the money is in your bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

markpb wrote: »
    This makes no sense to me. SEPA rules specifically allow any customer to cancel a direct debit and also to request a refund of any direct debit made in the last eight weeks. Of course, that doesn't help you because you may still owe the company money so they can still persue you in other ways but at least the money is in your bank account.

Banking & Payments Federation of Ireland

It depends on if it was a DD or not, some uk companies use Continuous Payment Authority (CPA) as its apparently more difficult to stop.

But sometime it's down to the counter staff on the day not being helpful or knowing what is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

It depends on if it was a DD or not, some uk companies use Continuous Payment Authority (CPA) as its apparently more difficult to stop.

Buy sometime it's down to the counter staff on the day not being helpful or knowing what is possible.

If its a card payment theyre taking report the card as lost, replacement will be a new number, expiry and cvv

• Advertisement

368100 wrote: »
    If its a card payment theyre taking report the card as lost, replacement will be a new number, expiry and cvv

This isn't a reliable approach. Merchants performing recurring card payments can get replacement card details from their acquirer unless the cardholder specifically tells their issuing bank to stop accepting authorisations from that merchant.

This isn't a reliable approach. Merchants performing recurring card payments can get replacement card details from their acquirer unless the cardholder specifically tells their issuing bank to stop accepting authorisations from that merchant.

Correct for cards cancelled as being damaged. Not correct for lost/stolen as they are added to a hotcard file in case its fraudulent use.

368100 wrote: »
    Correct for cards cancelled as being damaged. Not correct for lost/stolen as they are added to a hotcard file in case its fraudulent use.

The original PAN is added to the hotlist but the new card is available via VAU/ABU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Close the account

The original PAN is added to the hotlist but the new card is available via VAU/ABU.

ABU doesnt update expiry date if it changes. Which it does for a lost or stolen replacement

• Advertisement
Advertisement