Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qs about Exam attendant

Options
  • 30-05-2018 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I just got told today that im an exam attendant. I have a few questions about it
    What is the pay like ?
    Can you use your phone while sitting outside room?
    What do you do for like 4 hours a days ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rk2301

I’m going to be an exam attendant too! As far as I know the pay is minimum wage (which is paid at a lesser rate if you’re under 18 btw)

https://examinations.ie/schools/2014_Under_18_Attendant_Claim_Form.pdf

We were given a list of rules we’ve to follow at my school and it says we’re not allowed to use any electronic devices but your school might be less strict idk.

I’d say bring in some books or something to keep yourself entertained as I’ve heard it’s really boring haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

You get paid per exam session depending on whether you are attendent for junior or leaving cert. you won't be sitting for 4 hours consecutively. You make sure students don't make noise outside your centre , you accompany students to the toilet , you make sure no one enters your centre during the exam unless they have SEC ID, this includes not letting principal/teachers in. And you will bring a cup of tea or a glass of water in to your superintendent . I'd say you could bring a book , just don't be on the headphones and have your superintendent waving at you like mad to get your attention. :) oh and you'll help organise the desks, put exam numbers on desks, and put up a few posters the day before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your centre might get a visit from an SEC inspector. Make sure you're not on headphones if that happens. Easier leave them off altogether like the previous poster suggested. Read a book maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

We had a meeting with our principal and vice principal yesterday about this. We can't use any electronics and they're pretty strict about that. They say we can bring a book but they'd prefer us to do some study using school books instead of reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 thereisacar

By any chance does someone have the 2018 pay rates? The one above is 2014 and I think minimum wage has slightly changed, it's probably on the SEC website somewhere but I can't find it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

jeonahr wrote: »
    We had a meeting with our principal and vice principal yesterday about this. We can't use any electronics and they're pretty strict about that. They say we can bring a book but they'd prefer us to do some study using school books instead of reading.

Jeez they're a barrel of laughs.

I wouldn't bring a school book. 5th and sixth years often use same books, it wouldn't look good if you are reading a book on the subject the students are doing the exam in.
    Similarly you could leave yourself open to persuasion by a sixth year if they come out for the toilet and notice you have access to the internet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I did it in 1999.

Got an opportunity to review my summer exam answers and make a few corrections before they were marked. Best exam results ever!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Get yourself a classic. Arthur Conan Doyle or Dickens. See what the fuss is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 OMoo94

Hi,
    Will be working as a reader during the Leaving Cert, just checking if you read the comprehensions out automatically or is it only if the student asks you to read it? The teachers in the school did not seem certain.

OMoo94 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Will be working as a reader during the Leaving Cert, just checking if you read the comprehensions out automatically or is it only if the student asks you to read it? The teachers in the school did not seem certain.

As I understand it, you read the whole paper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I haven't done it before but I had understood that you only read when called upon by the student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rk2301

By any chance does someone have the 2018 pay rates? The one above is 2014 and I think minimum wage has slightly changed, it's probably on the SEC website somewhere but I can't find it at all.
    Here’s the 2018 rates:

https://www.examinations.ie/schools/cs_view.php?q=d68139c7a8f5bc67b57f5033a7d0ae6c4f791d31

Duties of the exam attendant (from SEC website):

https://www.examinations.ie/schools/cs_view.php?q=e76a5164454dfc9b4124849dae210b0181aa7a56

I haven't done it before but I had understood that you only read when called upon by the student.

I think it depends if the child has been awarded a full reader rather than reading assistance. The school should know.

edit**Found this in an old 'guidelines', but I'm sure it still applies:

Candidates approved for this accommodation should be aware that the Reader will,
    on request, read the entire, or any part of, the examination paper to the candidate.
    The Reader can only read the questions as presented and is precluded from changing
    the meaning, interpreting, adding any additional information, providing an
    explanation as to what the questions require of the candidate or otherwise providing
    assistance to the candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Leavingcerts18

Mcolmc wrote: »
    I just got told today that im an exam attendant. I have a few questions about it
    What is the pay like ?
    Can you use your phone while sitting outside room?
    What do you do for like 4 hours a days ?

I was an exam attendant 2 years ago , I found it actually quite fun and the pay was insane I got around €260 plus a €30 from the supervisor. I just had a book to read and my phone with earphones was watching Netflix , nobody really walked passed and when they did they didn’t notice. Hardest part is bringing the tray of tea and biscuits into the room without dropping them.. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Hi,

I acted as a reader a couple of years back and I was to read on request as explained above. Something I was slightly surprised about was that there wasn't a Superintendent with us. I was the Superintendent. That meant that as well as reading, I told the student when the exam started, when it finished, collected the work, and gave it to the main Superintendent. I did it for Junior Cert Spanish so I also set up the tape exam.

At the end, I had to write a sentence on the paper, indicating that the student got assistance through a reader. There is a specific sentence that I can't remember but it's in a booklet that I received at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭LaLa2004

Hi,

I hope, at this stage, that you have been given the comprehensive guidelines called Implementing Access Arrangements during the Written Examinations.

Advertisement