Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School shooting game Active Shooter pulled by Steam

Options
  • 30-05-2018 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭

I'm not normally a big fan of any kind of censorship and generally pretty tolerant of inappropriate 'humour' (not sure that even fits here) but I have to say this is in particularly bad taste and I absolutely agree with Steam they pulled this.
    A game pitched as a "school shooting simulation" has been ditched from Steam's online store ahead of release.

What do ye think people? Right decision or people being snowflakes?

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44230875
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44302146

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

wexie wrote: »
    I'm not normally a big fan of any kind of censorship and generally pretty tolerant of inappropriate 'humour' (not sure that even fits here) but I have to say this is in particularly bad taste and I absolutely agree with Steam they pulled this.

Bit of a daft idea in the first place if you ask me. As for "snowflakes", well there are legitimate times when things are offrensive without being in snowflake territory.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Bit of a daft idea in the first place if you ask me.

Yeah you'd have to wonder what kind of person thought this was going to be a big seller

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Why would I play this when I can lob down the local liquor store, buy a few fully automatics, head down the local school and enjoy the real thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It wasn't a school shooter game iirc, it was an active shooter Sim where originally you played as SWAT agents trying to neutralise an Active Shooter. The Dev decided the gameplay would be wider with the addition of letting players play as the shooter too, trying to evade capture.

Nothing school shootery except bad timing

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

This is a pilot scheme. No doubt will open the doors to war simulation or survival games being banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It wasn't a school shooter game iirc, it was an active shooter Sim where originally you played as SWAT agents trying to neutralise an Active Shooter. The Dev decided the gameplay would be wider with the addition of letting players play as the shooter too, trying to evade capture.

Nothing school shootery except bad timing

When would have been good timing?! - there's a school shooting almost monthy at this stage!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

They'll sell it on another download platform

All this has fone has given a crappy game a lot of extra and free exposure.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

It's no IS Defense.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

This is a pilot scheme. No doubt will open the doors to war simulation or survival games being banned.

That you Alex Jones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I remember Postal. A very good game. School Shooter is way too much though, at least Postal was a meme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Two minds about this. Probably best it's removed from a platform like Steam but there's something to be said for the satire value.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

"yeah its not right to sell this game, goes too far"

*loads up GTAV murders a load of prostitutes and goes on a rampage outside the hospital with a rocket launcher*

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Your opening paragraph makes no sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Has there ever been evidence showing a correlation between violent video games and violence?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Has there ever been evidence showing a correlation between violent video games and violence?

TBH a game that **** looking would turn me violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

When would have been good timing?! - there's a school shooting almost monthy at this stage!

Well it became viral about 2 days after the recent Texas shooting, which is when the playing as the shooter aspect was announced. So bad timing there, had it been announced today it might have passed over as thats the last one I've heard of.

As Ive mentioned, it was more mass murderer on final stand more than school shooter according to the Steam page and the Dev updates and responses to the ****storm caused. Games like GTA, Saints Row, Elder Scrolls, Assassins Creed and Fallout (27 games in these series combined off my head) have let you mass murder civilians if you so desire for over 20 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Nothing to do with censorship, the developer was banned from Steam (and as a result his catalogue of games removed from the store) for re-regging to circumvent a previous ban due to alleged copyright infringement claims.

There are plenty of controversial titles still on sale on Steam for people to get upset about - Hatred, Torture Chamber, Syrian Warfare.

Non story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Was it right from the customers perspective is one thing.

But, if you were involved in its production - thats a different question.

If I was involved in developing games, and getting paid a respectable wage, I'd still probably turn down the job if I thought the end product was to be expressly marketed in a way that might make it an inspiration for murder.

Not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭AllForIt

t
    wexie wrote: »

I think this is just madness. I'm all for video games but this sort of non-thinking based game play is beyond vile. I used to never buy into this whole idea that 'video games' influenced young ppl but in recent times I've come to re-evaluate my opinion on the whole subject.

In my day when you were lucky enough to have access to a computer (which we didn't have in our house but a neighbours) one would play stimulating games like scrabble, some sort of puzzle game, or very basic table tennis games. Some shoot em up stuff like space invaders got more advanced graphically over this years.

All these shoot em up games are not in the least bit educational, that is my mayor problem with them. The last video game I was seriously addicted too was Tomb Raider. Yes it had a bitta shooting going on but essentially it was a puzzle game. I can't believer the sort of garbage video games our youth are engaging in nowadays.

It used to be thought that if one could use a computer or a console that it was thought that ability in itself was something special, as the parents who forked out for it looked on admirably. Christ what a mistaken view that was when the skill required to do so is not particularly special not to mention the fact that the games that are most popular these days are completely without a requirement to have a half working brain at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Steam recently pulled a load of games off the site for having sex scenes. Then for some reason decides that this is OK. AFAIK it wasn't even removed because of the controversy. It was totally unrelated issue to do with copyright.

That to me is more bizarre than someone making a **** game and hoping the controversy will sell it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,726 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

somefeen wrote: »
    Steam recently pulled a load of games off the site for having sex scenes. Then for some reason decides that this is OK. AFAIK it wasn't even removed because of the controversy. It was totally unrelated issue to do with copyright.

That to me is more bizarre than someone making a **** game and hoping the controversy will sell it.

Then they scraped for a different reason to avoid setting a precedent.

Advertisement