Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Failed Tallaght

Options
  • 29-05-2018 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Failed today at Tallaght too for the 2nd time. The most annoying thing is that in the space of more or less 4 weeks the evaluation sheet now has different categories where we can be marked. Also the tester would mark me even when I was looking at mirrors before indicating, and I've also got a mark when a car indicated his exit wrong at the roundabout and I had to break (so I guess I had to stop instead of yield). I am so pissed at this whole experience. I'm definitely buying a dash camera for my next test. I do feel like they have this certain percentage of people they need to fail to keep their approval rates at some desired level. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

No, you just need to stop moaning and try again. Dash cam won't help you because if you fail and even use your dashcam successfully for an appeal, they only give you a refund and don't give you a pass.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Driver198 wrote: »
    Failed today at Tallaght too for the 2nd time. The most annoying thing is that in the space of more or less 4 weeks the evaluation sheet now has different categories where we can be marked. Also the tester would mark me even when I was looking at mirrors before indicating, and I've also got a mark when a car indicated his exit wrong at the roundabout and I had to break (so I guess I had to stop instead of yield). I am so pissed at this whole experience. I'm definitely buying a dash camera for my next test. I do feel like they have this certain percentage of people they need to fail to keep their approval rates at some desired level. What do you guys think?

Just a couple of things to note. The tester will not necessarily mark the sheet in real time. They may mark for a fault some time after it occurred. So your current situation might be perfectly fine, but they are marking for something that happened 30 seconds prior.

Indicators cannot be relied upon in situations like what you have described. You must wait until they have started the move to their exit before you can then proceed. Moving before this is dangerous, and would incur a fault.

I would presume you got a grade 3 fault for that roundabout one?

There is no % that they work towards. Thinking in this way is not helpful to passing. You need to work through your fail sheet with your instructor and try again when you are ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gaeilgeoir21

Hi,

I done my test recently in Tallaght and passed. If you go to Dublin Pretest Youtube Channel and Tallaght Test Route 4, that was the route he brought me on. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Driver198

Just a couple of things to note. The tester will not necessarily mark the sheet in real time. They may mark for a fault some time after it occurred. So your current situation might be perfectly fine, but they are marking for something that happened 30 seconds prior.

Indicators cannot be relied upon in situations like what you have described. You must wait until they have started the move to their exit before you can then proceed. Moving before this is dangerous, and would incur a fault.

I would presume you got a grade 3 fault for that roundabout one?

There is no % that they work towards. Thinking in this way is not helpful to passing. You need to work through your fail sheet with your instructor and try again when you are ready.

I got no grade 3 marks on my test...just 1 and 2.

I'm not trying to justify not passing, although this might seem like it. I didn't pass, I need to improve, work on my flaws blablabla - agreed!

But I want to sparkle here is more than angry or patronizing messages. I want you guys to think why we don't have the profile of people who fail. I've heard from more than one person that they do work towards a % and it's very naïve to think that this sort of thing doesn't happen. People are biased! Not admitting even for a sec that testers are biased is just ignorance. All humans are biased! So yeah, I do feel like a dash camera can help students and testers - holding all accountable. Cause right now...it's their word and that's pretty much it. How can you appeal to an institution where the tester is part and again -- it's more likely that they will take the testers words over yours. -- What's the % of appeals and how many are approved? The whole process is not transparent and that is what I wanted to stress here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Driver198 wrote: »
    But I want to sparkle here is more than angry or patronizing messages. I want you guys to think why we don't have the profile of people who fail. I've heard from more than one person that they do work towards a % and it's very naïve to think that this sort of thing doesn't happen. People are biased! Not admitting even for a sec that testers are biased is just ignorance. All humans are biased! So yeah, I do feel like a dash camera can help students and testers - holding all accountable. Cause right now...it's their word and that's pretty much it. How can you appeal to an institution where the tester is part and again -- it's more likely that they will take the testers words over yours. -- What's the % of appeals and how many are approved? The whole process is not transparent and that is what I wanted to stress here.

I never said the testers weren't human, or immune to human nature. I just said that there is no % that they are working towards for their weekly/monthly tally.

As for the dash camera, I believe they will ask you to disconnect it before the test, so may not, but some may insist. I don't believe they have any obligation to facilitate the test while being recorded. It's similar in the NCT. They will disconnect the camera when they sit in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Driver198

I had no idea they would ask to unplug the camera....that's so disappointing! How can we hold them accountable?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They should be able to video you, the driver, so they can prove and/or share your mistakes later.
    That ok with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

biko wrote: »
    They should be able to video you, the driver, so they can prove and/or share your mistakes later.
    That ok with you?

While I do agree with this idea I also feel it may make the test more stressful for the driver.
    Some people are nervous wrecks when going for the test (As was I).
    I do see the point you are trying to make though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭cml387

tcawley29 wrote: »
    While I do agree with this idea I also feel it may make the test more stressful for the driver.
    Some people are nervous wrecks when going for the test (As was I).
    I do see the point you are trying to make though
    I think Biko is saying if it's fair to video the examiner, isn't it fair to video the examinee as well?

Advertisement