Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for Volunteer opportunities or MeetUp group to develop skills

Options
  • 30-05-2018 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping the good people of The Gentlemens Club may have some ideas/suggestions for Volunteer opportunities or ideas for a MeetUp group that I could create that would develop some useful transferable skills.

I am a mid-twenties male living in Dublin and am interested in all sports, health, fitness and any outdoor activities. My job is not overly demanding at the moment and I am keen to use the free time that I have to grow, learn and improve myself. I have been looking through the volunteer opportunities on Volunteer Ireland and most strike me as unpaid jobs rather than opportunities where you could gain valuable skills. I volunteered as a voluntary Math tutor in the past and found it very rewarding. I seen the NALA/ETB mentioned on here and I have been in touch with them to volunteer for the next intake.

With this in mind, I am also considering setting up a Meetup group that would allow me to gain some transferable skills.

Thus far, I have come up with the following ideas:

- Outdoor calisthenics/fitness group
    - Self improvement / Mastermind / Professional skills group to develop public speaking skills, goal setting etc.
    - Mens shed style group for young people (18-40). (No idea what format or structure this would actually take.)

I am very keen to hear if others have any ideas for Volunteer opportunities or Meetup groups that they have seen work in other cities that may work well in Dublin and would be beneficial in terms of gaining transferable skills for work etc.

All ideas and suggestions are very much welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

These groups are always looking: Civil Defence, Coast Guard, Mountain Rescue, RLNI etc for people depending on where you live. Lots of new skills to learn and far from unpaid jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

not really a volunteer group but its run by volunteers. Sailing in Dublin , you could learn to sail and are welcome to help out, they are based in Dunlaoghaire.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement