Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Q5 & Q6

Options
  • 30-05-2018 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Does anybody have paragraphs prepared for these questions that they can send?
    I plan on doing C & D in the exam for 6
    Thanks a million

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Keep an eye on the amount of marks for each part of Qs 5 and 6. Waste of time writing a three page account for a ten mark question and then running out of time to answer a 20 mark part later on. Tailor your accounts to the marks allocated.

DON'T GO NEAR SOCIAL CHANGE UNLESS YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.
    It is the worst answered question on the paper every year.
    People think they can waffle and spoof about how things 'changed'.
    For example, you cannot just write 'women got more rights', you need to quote the laws that brought in the changes, the years those laws came in, the leading people in the movement for those rights, the role of bodies such as the Council for the Status of Women, etc..

It is always a really badly answered question, so unless you really know it inside out, try a different one.

OP, I know you are not intending doing Social Change, but the warning stands for others.

It would do no harm to have prepared some accounts for incidents in the Cold War, an incidence of African or Asian nationalism, moves towards European unity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jmoriarty142

spurious wrote: »
    Keep an eye on the amount of marks for each part of Qs 5 and 6. Waste of time writing a three page account for a ten mark question and then running out of time to answer a 20 mark part later on. Tailor your accounts to the marks allocated.

DON'T GO NEAR SOCIAL CHANGE UNLESS YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.
    It is the worst answered question on the paper every year.
    People think they can waffle and spoof about how things 'changed'.
    For example, you cannot just write 'women got more rights', you need to quote the laws that brought in the changes, the years those laws came in, the leading people in the movement for those rights, the role of bodies such as the Council for the Status of Women, etc..

It is always a really badly answered question, so unless you really know it inside out, try a different one.

OP, I know you are not intending doing Social Change, but the warning stands for others.

It would do no harm to have prepared some accounts for incidents in the Cold War, an incidence of African or Asian nationalism, moves towards European unity.

Thanks alot
    My teacher didn’t do social history as we ran out of time so I’m definitely not doing that lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks alot
    My teacher didn’t do social history as we ran out of time so I’m definitely not doing that lol

That doesn't seem to stop some people giving it a lash.
    The main thing in writing your paragraphs is to include important facts (and watch how many marks are going for it, to avoid writing too much).

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel - important
    Michelangelo broke some guy's nose - not so important.

Martin Luther stood up against the Pope - important
    Martin Luther married a nun - not so important

The marking schemes are handy to see what is being looked for.

Advertisement