Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Ross to propose ban on rickshaws

Options
  • 30-05-2018 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭

Its time to get these cowboy drug dealers off the road.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/shane-ross-to-propose-ban-on-rickshaws-1.3513154?mode=amp

Minister for Transport Shane Ross is set to propose a ban on the use of rickshaws.
    Mr Ross is to outline his intentions at an Oireachtas committee meeting on Wednesday.

In his opening remarks, the Minister will confirm he has been debating the regulation of the vehicles or an outright ban and will say that the status quo is not an option.

On the issue of regulation, he says new laws would be required to allow for driver and operator licensing, vehicle registration and licensing, rickshaw roadworthiness (involving an NCT-style test), motor tax, fares regulation, regulation in the standards of service, and offences and penalties to allow for proper enforcement.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Can we ban Shane Ross instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Any news on banning the sulkies of the roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

the_syco wrote: »
    Any news on banning the sulkies of the roads?

Culture, boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Culture, boss.

Pardon my French but fook culture. It's pathetic, culture today is just used as an excuse to justify something that is wrong. Every day I drive through Limerick city and see these sulkies riding around. A city is no place for a horse, a horse needs large, wide open spaces. Not to be carting people around while being surrounded by fumes from cars/trucks/etc. I've seen some horses in pretty damn appauling conditons as well, and the worst part is that reporting it to the guards or animal welfare is a waste of time because of aforementioned precious 'culture'. That and the fact that the guards couldn't care less. Never mind the fact that so many don't give a damn about road safety or that of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Knee jerk reaction by Ross. But its populism and that's what counts for him. Taxi associations have been pushing for this for years.

Regulation was badly needed, introduce it and police it properly to get rogue users off the road. But that would mean doing some actual work and increasing spending on policing.

Rickshaws don't affect Ross because he doesn't use them, therefore he's happy to ban them.

Twat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Absolutely. They are a scourge and not only that they are a bit of an embarrassment to our capital city, drug dealing or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Good news, they are wild chariots let losse on our streets.This video from a few months back is an ample example of why we need this ban asap: https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Wow, is this really too priority?

They could always just before the whole “no drug dealing” laws if that’s what’s actually behind this.

Seems like another win for the all powerful Taxi union - the sooner Uber bothers to pay off the right government official here the better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

jaxxx wrote: »
    Pardon my French but fook culture. It's pathetic, culture today is just used as an excuse to justify something that is wrong. Every day I drive through Limerick city and see these sulkies riding around. A city is no place for a horse, a horse needs large, wide open spaces. Not to be carting people around while being surrounded by fumes from cars/trucks/etc. I've seen some horses in pretty damn appauling conditons as well, and the worst part is that reporting it to the guards or animal welfare is a waste of time because of aforementioned precious 'culture'. That and the fact that the guards couldn't care less. Never mind the fact that so many don't give a damn about road safety or that of others.

It's ridiculous indeed. From an animal welfare perspective, the poor horses are often in a dreadful state. Not to mention the effects of some pot bellied yob lashing it.

Also an absolute hazard if you're near one while driving. No predictability and they often travel two abreast trying to outdo one another. One of my least pleasant experiences of learning to drive in Limerick was being stuck behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

In my day we had lynch mobs can we lynch this wee feller Ross, I'd like to see him swinging from a lamppost as you young folk seem to have cut down all the trees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Greybottle wrote: »
    Knee jerk reaction by Ross. But its populism and that's what counts for him. Taxi associations have been pushing for this for years.

Regulation was badly needed, introduce it and police it properly to get rogue users off the road. But that would mean doing some actual work and increasing spending on policing.

Rickshaws don't affect Ross because he doesn't use them, therefore he's happy to ban them.

Twat.

I don't know anyone who would be upset if they were banned apart from the drivers.

They are a novelty for drunks that won't be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Trasna1 wrote: »
    I don't know anyone who would be upset if they were banned apart from the drivers.

They are a novelty for drunks that won't be missed.

I'd say the operators would be more upset tbh. I don't think the drivers see much of that money, which might explain the 'nixers'.

No need for people to be pedalling around like coolies in our cities in the 21st century.

Also, I do think the sulky thing needs to be tackled for animal welfare reasons, but that's not such an easy win. Discrimination, boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I wouldn't mind horses in a city or town, there are horse cabs everywhere from Killarney to NYC but at least they're looked after and obey the traffic laws. Not flying all over the road and horses reduced to scrounging around waste ground with the ribs sticking out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭vandriver

Wow, is this really too priority?

They could always just before the whole “no drug dealing” laws if that’s what’s actually behind this.

Seems like another win for the all powerful Taxi union - the sooner Uber bothers to pay off the right government official here the better

Uber is perfectly entitled to operate here at the moment.
    They just need to sign up as many licensed taxi drivers in licensed cars as they need for their business model.
    That they choose not to do this is their own choice.
    What they can't do is have unvetted,uninsured(or not correctly ) blokes in unlicensed cars subject to no regulation working 80 hours a week to make a living on the ****e fares that Uber allow them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Ross is building up some credit with the taxi unions with this one. Would prefer to see him regulating this service and he could do something about the white only ranks in Dublin city centre while he's at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Greybottle wrote: »

I don’t know where Shane Ross buys his coke, but it’s besides the point.

I don’t use them either but I was clipped by one on Grafton street and the **** kept going. They are vermin and need to be taken off the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

icon14.pngShane Ross to propose ban on rickshaws

Considering he had all the answers as a mouthpiece / senator - he's some can of piss as a minister.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Agree with you 100%, but unfortunately because of our mentally ill leftist morons in charge - the above is considered racist hate speech, so it's an untouchable area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Berserker wrote: »
    Ross is building up some credit with the taxi unions with this one. Would prefer to see him regulating this service and he could do something about the white only ranks in Dublin city centre while he's at it.

The "white rank" on O'Connell Street is gone years.

What we have now is Nigerian ranks in parts of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

If they just legalised drugs then noone would use the rickshaws anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement