Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Micra reverse lights NCT fail

Options
  • 29-05-2018 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hello,

I failed the NCT because of a visual defect and can do a free retest.

The reverse lights are not working.

I went over to Halfords and showed them the NCT paper and told them about the reverse light not working. They put the car in reverse, checked, replaced the bulb on one side. They put it back together and checked the light in reverse again.

I paid and went back to the NCT and failed again... I was too stupid to first check myself. I feel really stupid.

If the bulb was changed and this didnt fix the issue... should I go back to Halfords or go to a mechanic immediately?

The free retest date is coming up very soon.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

Yurple wrote: »
    Hello,

I failed the NCT because of a visual defect and can do a free retest.

I went over to Halfords and showed them the NCT paper and told them about the reverse light not working. They put the car in reverse, checked, replaced the bulb on one side. They put it back together and checked the light in reverse again.

I paid and went back to the NCT and failed again... I was too stupid to first check myself. I feel really stupid.

If the bulb was changed and this didnt fix the issue... should I go back to Halfords or go to a mechanic immediately?

The free retest date is coming up very soon.

Thanks!

I’d take it to a mechanic. Could just be a reverse light switch which would be a cheap fix.

I would however also go back to Halfords and get a refund along with giving them a piece of your mind for not checking after fitting the bulb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Yurple wrote:

Change bulb and see if it works for some time...it might just be either a bad luck case of bulb getting blown...or it can be issue with supply or socket...

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

My dad is telling me to check the bulbs before going to a mechanic.I looked it up on Youtube and it is very simple taking out the things with the bulbs on them. I have one more spare bulb from Halfords and will replace that tomorrow morning.

If that doesn't work ... I will go to a mechanic.

Can someone provide an indication how much this will roughly cost? I looked it up online and reverse light switch on the gearbox seems to be a common problem on this car...

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

Yurple wrote: »
    My dad is telling me to check the bulbs before going to a mechanic.I looked it up on Youtube and it is very simple taking out the things with the bulbs on them. I have one more spare bulb from Halfords and will replace that tomorrow morning.

If that doesn't work ... I will go to a mechanic.

Can someone provide an indication how much this will roughly cost? I looked it up online and reverse light switch on the gearbox seems to be a common problem on this car...

On the jap cars the common fault is the reverse light switch on the gearbox. But it could just be ur bulb

Bulb I’d say will cost u about 5 euro if ur putting it in yourself

Reverse light switch would cost u maybe 20-25 euro for the part maybe abit less and then maybe the same again to fit it

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from DIY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, take out the bulbs, check the wires and fittings. Had an issue with a headlight a couple of months back, thought the bulb was blown. When I went to replace it, the old bulb magically came to life when I started messing with the connector. Remained steady since.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,394 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I find it hard to believe Halfords wouldn’t check it’s working. I’d say it’s not as simple as them being wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Max Moment wrote: »
    I would however also go back to Halfords and get a refund along with giving them a piece of your mind for not checking after fitting the bulb

I'm sorry but I fail to see how this is Halford's problem.

I highly doubt they fitted a blown bulb and the fault lies elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Reverse light switch on micra = extremely common

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

Yes I think it is a reverse light switch problem. I have taken the bulbs out and checked the wiring but it all looks OK.

I have to bring it to a garage tomorrow...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Reverse switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Disconnect the plug from the switch and join them together with a piece of wire, turn on the ignition and see do the reversing lights work.

Advertisement