Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford focus warning light

Options
  • 29-05-2018 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there I have an 09 plate ford focus and the engine management light came on and it flashed at me earlier but then stopped flashing but remains on. I was doing some digging and it seem like I need to coils and spark plug and one guy said it is un burnt fuel getting into the cat converter ? Im just asking as I just purchased the car from a garage and they put it in for an MOT ,is this something that should have been picked up on an MOT ?
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If the coils or spark plugs are gone then you will get unburnt fuel going through, but at the same time, that warning could be for anything, the thing to do would be get the code read by a diagnostics reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,472 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Without a fault code reader it could be anything, get the fault read and start from there. What engine is in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

This was a recurring problem on our FF (06).

The Error Code suggested something like "Low Voltage B Coil" (I'm very loosely paraphrasing). So, of course I spent €55 on a new coil pack from MicksGarage and replaced it. Problem solved - for a short while. Couldn't believe a new coil pack (Bosch) had packed up in a couple of months. It hadn't and probably the original was fine as well.....

THe output of the coil pack is your 4 spark plug leads. But the problem is on the input to the coil pack. Its a 3-wire cable terminating on a shaped plug. THe plug contains connectors that push fit onto 3 terminals visible inside the same shaped socket on the side of the coil pack. In my case, these were becoming dirty over time. A few times I got at these and cleaned them to fix the problem. However, apparently its being caused by the 3-wire cable being very tight - 'cos its not as long as it should be and is putting strain on everything because its being stretched. I cut this cable and replaced it, the spades and the plug. Problem solved for good (I hope!!). That was a year ago.

So that's my story, it might apply to your situation. Or your coil might actua;;y be gone.

Be wary of asking a main dealer to fix it - they might replace the whole wiring loom instead of the little broken bit. They were quoting me €900 for the loom, labour extra. My fix cost about €16 plus p&p on Ebay.
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ford-Focus-coil-plug-connector-repair-pack-Pre-wired-FREEPOST-GENUINE-OEM/323273141550?hash=item4b4494ad2e:g:1z0AAOSwX~dWm-z6

HtH

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Could be anything.
    Get the error codes read by a mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

You said you just purchased the car from a garage, yeah? It's their problem to solve. Do nothing yourself or it may undermine your rights.

• Advertisement

Hi Flyshifter,

Just to clarify.... my own experience may not mean you are having the same problem, as the others said, get it checked by the vendor garage, or failing that a proper mechanic with a code reader.

my own post is just an anecdote re my own experience. I was a little enthusiastic about putting it there without that caveat. Don't take it as a recommendation to try the same. If the garage won't play ball, get a mechanic to look and if he says "ah coil pack" then tell him my story above. I found this story originally on the Internet, and found it worked for me (getting the bits was a bit of luck on eBay after multiple searches).

to the other posters here, yes even though you didn't say it outright, my original post was probably a bit cavalier, especially given the potential for bad outcomes.
    Apologies..

Good luck.

Hi Flyshifter,

Just to clarify.... my own experience may not mean you are having the same problem, as the others said, get it checked by the vendor garage, or failing that a proper mechanic with a code reader.

my own post is just an anecdote re my own experience. I was a little enthusiastic about putting it there without that caveat. Don't take it as a recommendation to try the same. If the garage won't play ball, get a mechanic to look and if he says "ah coil pack" then tell him my story above. I found this story originally on the Internet, and found it worked for me (getting the bits was a bit of luck on eBay after multiple searches).

to the other posters here, yes even though you didn't say it outright, my original post was probably a bit cavalier, especially given the potential for bad outcomes.
    Apologies..

Good luck.

Personally, I saw nothing wrong with your post at all. Helpful in fact.

Thanks Tom,

my paranoia tablets are obviously wearing off:pac:

with a bit of luck it'll help the OP if all else fails. Wouldn't hold out much hope of help, usually they have a 'engine and gearbox only' guarantee, probably the bits least likely to fail. (from bitter experience).

cheers!

Thanks Tom,

my paranoia tablets are obviously wearing off:pac:

with a bit of luck it'll help the OP if all else fails. Wouldn't hold out much hope of help, usually they have a 'engine and gearbox only' guarantee, probably the bits least likely to fail. (from bitter experience).

cheers!

I suppose it all depends on what the OP meant my having just bought it. If it was a few days or a week, I'd assume he could argue the car had a fault at the time of sale and could even argue that it must have been known. If a month or more, it would obviously be more difficult.

Nowadays, dealers are more sensible when it comes to dealing with stuff like this. It is a 9-10 year old car and perhaps it was sold 'as is' with no warranties implied. If so, one assumes that was factored into the price and OP might not have much of a leg to stand on.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I suppose it all depends on what the OP meant my having just bought it. If it was a few days or a week, I'd assume he could argue the car had a fault at the time of sale and could even argue that it must have been known. If a month or more, it would obviously be more difficult.

Nowadays, dealers are more sensible when it comes to dealing with stuff like this. It is a 9-10 year old car and perhaps it was sold 'as is' with no warranties implied. If so, one assumes that was factored into the price and OP might not have much of a leg to stand on.

Are you seeing a pattern here???? I seem to be projecting my own experiences - if that's the right terminology.

anyway, hopefully the OP has seen enough here to give him or her enough info to be prepared when approaching the vendor. I've seen other posts* by you that suggest you have some type of legal experience, so the part bolded might be worth pushing - if only to play 'chicken' with them.

Good Luck OP.

*I've a good memory, I didn't go checking your posts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement