Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amsterdam Airport Connection

Options
  • 29-05-2018 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭

Someone I know is looking at an offer of an Aer Lingus flight (+transavia) to Gran Canaria with a connection at Amsterdam on the way out. There is 2h 15mins between the proposed arrival of the flight from Dublin and the departure of the Amsterdam flight to Gran Canaria. Was just wondering if anyone with any experience of this or Amsterdam Airport in general could confirm if this is a reasonable turnaround time at that airport? I had a look at tripadvisor and it seems to be good but just wanted another opinion. Just that the people flying are inexperienced and would like some info. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Amsterdam is easy. One terminal. You can run between gates if you really needed to. That's more than enough time for change flights, 3 pints and lunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Amsterdam is easy. One terminal. You can run between gates if you really needed to. That's more than enough time for change flights, 3 pints and lunch!

There is a difference between a one terminal airport in for example Charleroi and Amsterdam.
    The question here is whether you have luggage that you need to pick up and check back in or not. If you don't have to do this, you will be grand given the answer to the next question is yes.

The second question is whether Aerlingus will be on time. You can't predict the future, but you could have a look at historical data and see whether that particular flight is usual on time or not. Is it the first flight of the day , that is usually a good omen.

If you do have luggage to check back in in AMS, 2 hrs 15 may not be enough. Schiphol airport is far worse than Dublin in terms of queues during the summer and don't forget regardless of luggage you will go through passport control.

Is it really that much cheaper to take the two flights , rather than a direct flight from Dublin to Gran Canaria ? Regardless of anything two flights with different carriers always adds a certain amount of stress. If these people are quite inexperienced I would not advise them to do 2 flights unless the price difference is significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭BQQ

Came through Amsterdam recently with only about an hour and a quarter between landing and connecting flight taking off
    I made the flight no problem, but my bags weren’t so lucky
    Baggage guy in the airport said You should plan 3 hrs stopover in Amsterdam to be sure bags will get transferred

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Another issue is if it's all on one ticket. If it is then a delay on the first leg means that you will arrive later to your destination. If separate tickets then you have to sort yourself out to reach your destination.

There must be a huge saving to fly the wrong way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Thanks very much for all the helpful comments.

The impression I get is that it's doable but best avoided if at all possible - the latter I suppose is the case with any non-direct flight!

I would also be surprised if (it's four young ladies involved) if at least one of them did not feel the need to bring a huge amount of luggage which would create a baggage delay too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭jmreire

Planning on flying Dublin to Belgrade and back later on. Outward flight is OK timewise, but on the return leg, Belgrade - Zurich, the arrival time is 16:30, depart Zurich - Dublin is 17:25. That only gives 55 mins to make the Dublin flight. Is this possible? Has anyone made a similar connection in Zurich? The airline is SWISS for all the flights.
    Thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,043 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

jmreire wrote: »
    Planning on flying Dublin to Belgrade and back later on. Outward flight is OK timewise, but on the return leg, Belgrade - Zurich, the arrival time is 16:30, depart Zurich - Dublin is 17:25. That only gives 55 mins to make the Dublin flight. Is this possible? Has anyone made a similar connection in Zurich? The airline is SWISS for all the flights.
    Thanks for any advice.

Yes have done it and yes it's possible

• Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭jmreire

Caranica wrote: »
    Yes have done it and yes it's possible

Thanks Caranica, that's a bit of encouragement !!! :) As a matter of interest, do you do it on a regular basis?
    Regards Jim

Advertisement