Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy and connect oil boiler myself

Options
  • 29-05-2018 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I am having trouble getting a new oil boiler installed.
    I have contacted several plumbers in the area (Ashbourne/Swords) who advertise the service, of which 1 has responded, came out and has since dropped off the face of the earth.
    The current boiler is in a boiler room in the garage 25+ feet away from the house connect via un insulated gun barrel pipes under tarmac.
    I want the new boiler against the back of the house which means bringing the oil to the boiler (which I’ll do myself) and connecting new pipes into the house under raised floor.

So as I cannot find someone to come out and do that, would I be mad to buy the boiler myself, connect it up and then find someone to commission it? (Likely a 35Kw Grant condensing boiler to cover 20 radiators (3 bathroom))
    The guy that came out was to tell me the type and size of pipe for the oil but never came back to me.

What ya think?

Any advice would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Geimhreadh wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am having trouble getting a new oil boiler installed.
    I have contacted several plumbers in the area (Ashbourne/Swords) who advertise the service, of which 1 has responded, came out and has since dropped off the face of the earth.
    The current boiler is in a boiler room in the garage 25+ feet away from the house connect via un insulated gun barrel pipes under tarmac.
    I want the new boiler against the back of the house which means bringing the oil to the boiler (which I’ll do myself) and connecting new pipes into the house under raised floor.

So as I cannot find someone to come out and do that, would I be mad to buy the boiler myself, connect it up and then find someone to commission it? (Likely a 35Kw Grant condensing boiler to cover 20 radiators (3 bathroom))
    The guy that came out was to tell me the type and size of pipe for the oil but never came back to me.

What ya think?

Any advice would be great

So what work exactly, are you planning to do yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Geimhreadh

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    So what work exactly, are you planning to do yourself?

Dig up the tarmac run new pip from oil tank to the position of new boiler.
    Dig up foot path and connect new in and out flow pipes to the current heating.
    Buy boiler put in position.

Once that's done I figure it will be a handy job for someone to come in and connect it all up and commission it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Can you not run the oil line through one of the GB pipes under the tarmac rather than digging it up. Use it as a condute sort of thing. Would be much tidier.

I don’t thing a plumber would be happy coming into that job. And god forbid there was a leak or something you’d never hear the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

_Brian wrote: »
    Can you not run the oil line through one of the GB pipes under the tarmac rather than digging it up. Use it as a condute sort of thing. Would be much tidier.

I don’t thing a plumber would be happy coming into that job. And god forbid there was a leak or something you’d never hear the end of it.

Clever idea using the old GB like that.. It's gonna save a lot of mess and hassle..

Dig up the tarmac run new pip from oil tank to the position of new boiler.
    Dig up foot path and connect new in and out flow pipes to the current heating.
    Buy boiler put in position.

Once that's done I figure it will be a handy job for someone to come in and connect it all up and commission it

I’d say that’s why you’re not getting any reputable plumbers out to look at the job. No offence, but any plumber, including myself, would never sign off on anyone doing a DIY job

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’d say that’s why you’re not getting any reputable plumbers out to look at the job. No offence, but any plumber, including myself, would never sign off on anyone doing a DIY job

I m only suggesting this because I can't get any reputable plumbers out.

If I could they would be doing the lot

_Brian wrote: »

Not a bad idea at all. It would come to the house and back out but could work. Any suggestion on what type of pipe is needed to carry the oil?

Guy that did come said to use a bigger diameter pipe so the boiler isn't sucking from the tank

Not a bad idea at all. It would come to the house and back out but could work. Any suggestion on what type of pipe is needed to carry the oil?

Guy that did come said to use a bigger diameter pipe so the boiler isn't sucking from the tank

Nonsense. 10mm Wicu is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

a larger diameter oil pipe will be more susceptible to air bubbles .

MOD <Snip> MOD NOTE: I don't think you were being serious, but it did look like touting for business, so I snipped that bit out.

anthonyos wrote: »
    a larger diameter oil pipe will be more susceptible to air bubbles .

MOD SNIP <...>

MOD SNIP <....> MOD NOTE; Please don't respond in that manner. You did the correct thing by reporting, but then responded in kind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement