Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on selling price

Options
  • 29-05-2018 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm looking for advice from fellow Boards members.

My Dad passed away a couple of months ago and I've been asked by my mum to now sell his car. I'm giving it a wash and clean so don't have photos just yet.

However, it is exactly the same as this one except my Dad's is white:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-scenic-xmod-bose-1-5-dci-110-s/18884326

He got the NCT last January up to January 2020 and the mileage is about 57000kms.

Obviously, I'm not a dealer so I can't give a warranty but it was looked after well and the recent NCT shows that it is in good order.

I have no idea where to price it as a private sale. I hope that there should be some demand for a family size car but perhaps you might advise as to a reasonable and fair asking price?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It'll be a slow sale privately in that price range, even if you price it competitively.

If he bought it from a dealer I'd approach them to see would they be interested in buying it back. You won't get top dollar but you will probably get 80% of its value with very little messing as opposed to sitting on it for months privately.

Sorry to hear about your dad!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sorry for your loss :(

As said, start with dealer. It will be difficult to get someone to hand over that kind of cash privately for a car bought "as seen".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Thanks folks, I will try that.

Any idea of how much would be a good or bad deal?

If the dealer in the link is listing at €15k, you'd assume that they will take €14ish. Therefore, could I expect €11-€12k for my Dad's to allow them a mark-up or is that ambitious?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe try and ask the dealer it was bought from first if they would be willing to sell it on their forecourt for a fixed percentage of the selling price? If you just want a quick sale then approach them to buy it and see what they offer you for it. A good indication these days what it is worth privately is figure out how much it would be to import a similar car from the UK for, then knock the price a little to take account of the cost of travel, ferry and effort, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

No harm throwing it up on DoneDeal as one of the cheapest in the country of that model, give it a few days and see if there is any interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I've stuck it up on Donedeal at €11,250.00 to see if there is any interest. It's the lowest price of its type on there or elsewhere that I can see. I will have to "greenlight" it later when I get home to verify the logbook number.

If I don't get interest, I'll call the dealers.

Thanks for all of your replies - much appreciated!

Advertisement