Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade from Canon 60D

Options
  • 29-05-2018 10:55am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, so I'm starting to consider my camera options for later in the year. I'm getting married in October and we've planned a honeymoon to New Zealand in January which I hope to capture with a new camera.

I'm a landscape photographer (amateur: insta) and have shot Canon since my getting a Canon 350D when I was 18. As the title mentions, I have a Canon 60D with a selection of EF-S lenses:
    Canon 10-22mm F3.5 (This practically never leaves the camera)
    Sigma 30mm F1.4 (My second favourite, that 1.4 is a beauty)
    Canon 55-250mm (Handy long lens for airshows and wildlife)
    Canon 18-135mm (Used it many years back, essentially retired now.)

I see three options moving forward:

Stick with APS-C and get a 80D or equivalent Canon.
    Go full frame Canon with a 5D IV.
    Or switch system and go Sony.

So the real question is do I plump for a 5D IV and buy a EF 24-105 mm f/4L as my only lens. Or go Sony with a similar lens setup, an A7R iii would be what I would gravitate towards. Sony is very tempting, they have been at the forefront of the full frame camera market for a long time now. But perhaps I've bought into the hype too much.

The size of the camera does not bother me in the slightest. I'm used to lugging around my 60D, and the extra weight of the 5D won't bother me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Whats your budget?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Chavways wrote: »
    Whats your budget?

Pretty open ended for the moment. 3-4k lets say. Which is what I would expect to have to pay for a 5D iv with EF 24-105 mm F4.

I don't intend to tempt you to the dark side (actually maybe I do!), but I moved from a Canon 700D to a Sony A6500 last year and have been blown away by all the features. If you have an interest in pictures and video, I think an A7III would be the way to go. 2000 euro for the body and then you have 2000 to spend on lenses and accessories. I know this means selling your Canon gear but there are plenty of extremely good wide landscape and prime lenses in Sony's line up to take over from your 10-22 and 30mm. If you want the higher pixel count, then the A7RIII looks to be amazing too and cheaper than a 5D IV.

You also have the adapter option too which works out very well from my experience using a Sigma MC11. The only issue with the A7III is that they are sold out of everywhere because the demand is so big.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Chavways wrote: »
    I don't intend to tempt you to the dark side (actually maybe I do!), but I moved from a Canon 700D to a Sony A6500 last year and have been blown away by all the features. If you have an interest in pictures and video, I think an A7III would be the way to go. 2000 euro for the body and then you have 2000 to spend on lenses and accessories. I know this means selling your Canon gear but there are plenty of extremely good wide landscape and prime lenses in Sony's line up to take over from your 10-22 and 30mm. If you want the higher pixel count, then the A7RIII looks to be amazing too and cheaper than a 5D IV.

You also have the adapter option too which works out very well from my experience using a Sigma MC11. The only issue with the A7III is that they are sold out of everywhere because the demand is so big.

Thanks for the input. I'm already tempted by the dark side, so no worries there!

I have 0 interest in film. I never shot a single video with my 60D and I don't see that changing. This is a stills camera only I'm looking for. If I do go for the full frame Canon or Sony options I'll be selling my current lenses anyway, hence my reasoning for looking into changing system.

I'm not in any rush to buy this, it'll probably be months down the line, so supply at the minute isn't a big issue for me. I've heard the adapters work really well with the Sony which is very interesting. The best of both worlds really.

I suppose I'm still drawn to the 5D purely because it's a canon, and it's what I imagined I would buy next when I bought the 60D. And it is well regarded as a landscape camera in it's own right. All images will be shot RAW and processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

Looking at the lenses you have, most of the EF-S, so good only if you stay with APS-C.

Canon and Nikon I find quite expensive for the amount of features you get, unless you go 5D.

For me, as a long time Canon user, I made a switch to Sony... Only sorry I didnt do it earlier.

Their systems are fantastic, well above what Canon or Nikon offer. Their current entry level A7 MK3 blows Canon out of the water, I strongly suggest you go and try one out..:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭b318isp

The question I'd ask is what aspect of the 60D would you want to improve? That should drive what you need to change.

I know you've asked about bodies, but I'd query your lenses. There is scope to improve substantially, and a 5D would really show up their limitations.

I'd be suggesting a 17-40f4 L for landscape work. That and the 24-105f4L would be a big step forward. A 70-200f4L could also be considered.

Just another option.

I think I'll have to go to a shop and try out an a7 iii/a7r iii. Thanks for all the replies lads, I really appreciate it. And to be honest, I'm not too surprised by the Sony recommendation, I've been looking at them for years now seeing the amazing images they produce.

As for where my 60D lets me down. ISO performance and noise becomes a problem. Especially at longer shutter speeds. Dynamic range is lacking, although not terrible to be fair. I do get great shots with my 60D, but I think it's time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭raher1

Did you sell the Canon 60d
    Thanks for the input. I'm already tempted by the dark side, so no worries there!

I have 0 interest in film. I never shot a single video with my 60D and I don't see that changing. This is a stills camera only I'm looking for. If I do go for the full frame Canon or Sony options I'll be selling my current lenses anyway, hence my reasoning for looking into changing system.

I'm not in any rush to buy this, it'll probably be months down the line, so supply at the minute isn't a big issue for me. I've heard the adapters work really well with the Sony which is very interesting. The best of both worlds really.

I suppose I'm still drawn to the 5D purely because it's a canon, and it's what I imagined I would buy next when I bought the 60D. And it is well regarded as a landscape camera in it's own right. All images will be shot RAW and processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Why not wait to see if the new Canon FF is as revolutionary as some are expecting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Ive a 600d, so comparable to the 60d.
    I just got a 77d for £509 from hdew.
    There is also an£85 cashback with canon

I just couldn't justify the cost of a full frame at present.

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Why not wait to see if the new Canon FF is as revolutionary as some are expecting?

That's what people were saying last year ;)

I'm never convinced a gen.1 product is a good gamble from any brand. And that being said, I've not seen anything about Canon releasing anything soon.
    raher1 wrote: »
    Did you sell the Canon 60d

No I did not. But this thread was started just to get an idea for a purchase for the future. I expect to have made a purchase by Jan.
    Ive a 600d, so comparable to the 60d.
    I just got a 77d for £509 from hdew.
    There is also an£85 cashback with canon

I just couldn't justify the cost of a full frame at present.

I don't think a 77D is sufficient for my needs to be honest. It seems compromised in various ways. Not to say that it's a bad camera, it seems like a great one if it fits the bill.

My focus is still on a Sony A7iii, I suspect my budget will not stretch to a a7riii but I'll see closer to the time.

Ha. So here we are. Canon Eos R has been released and I feel I'm torn. The goal is to have a camera bought in December for a trip in January, so it's getting to crunch time.

Really I'll have to wait for real world reviews of the Eos R to come out in the next month or so. But it does look like a good option for what I need. Full frame, bigger body, and weather sealed.

The weather sealing is something that is important to me, and something that I've read lots of people having trouble with on the Sony's. I say trouble, but really what it boils down to is that the Sony has none, if you get unlucky even some light rain has ruined cameras for people. And given this is a landscape camera this is somewhat concerning. Just last week I was up in Glendalough in the pouring rain with my trusty 60D and 10-22mm with no covers without any care in the world. I'm not so sure I'd be able to do that with the Sony.

The other side to this is buying a gen.1 product, never something I like to do either... let's see how the reviews look I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Ha. So here we are. Canon Eos R has been released and I feel I'm torn. The goal is to have a camera bought in December for a trip in January, so it's getting to crunch time.

Really I'll have to wait for real world reviews of the Eos R to come out in the next month or so. But it does look like a good option for what I need. Full frame, bigger body, and weather sealed.

The weather sealing is something that is important to me, and something that I've read lots of people having trouble with on the Sony's. I say trouble, but really what it boils down to is that the Sony has none, if you get unlucky even some light rain has ruined cameras for people. And given this is a landscape camera this is somewhat concerning. Just last week I was up in Glendalough in the pouring rain with my trusty 60D and 10-22mm with no covers without any care in the world. I'm not so sure I'd be able to do that with the Sony.

The other side to this is buying a gen.1 product, never something I like to do either... let's see how the reviews look I reckon.

Peter McKinnon did his review on YouTube, he has made the descision to switch:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj7Fm68evbU

Just to throw a spanner in the works... Canon Rumors are predicting the flagship R camera to be launched in February:
    www.canonrumors.com/flagship-eos-r-camera-coming-in-february-ahead-of-cp-cr1/

Peter McKinnon did his review on YouTube, he has made the descision to switch:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj7Fm68evbU

Just to throw a spanner in the works... Canon Rumors are predicting the flagship R camera to be launched in February:
    www.canonrumors.com/flagship-eos-r-camera-coming-in-february-ahead-of-cp-cr1/

The Eos R with 24-105 F4 is really about as far as I could push the budget so the pro model wouldn't entice me given I would expect the price to add on another grand at least.

I had seen that video actually! I do a quick search on youtube every few days to see if there's a new one. I actually just disregarded his opinions, he's a Canon rep so his opinion would have to be taken with a large pinch of salt. Even the way he references the Eos R's shortcomings in video recording being advantageous to his film making was laughable.

They do ship very soon, so I'll have a good few reviews to read up on/watch soon.

The Eos R with 24-105 F4 is really about as far as I could push the budget so the pro model wouldn't entice me given I would expect the price to add on another grand at least.

I had seen that video actually! I do a quick search on youtube every few days to see if there's a new one. I actually just disregarded his opinions, he's a Canon rep so his opinion would have to be taken with a large pinch of salt. Even the way he references the Eos R's shortcomings in video recording being advantageous to his film making was laughable.

They do ship very soon, so I'll have a good few reviews to read up on/watch soon.

His review was definitely laughable but if you're not overly concerned with video, it might be the way to go.

Well I bought the Eos R today. Got a good price with the 24-105mm RF lens. Lovely bit of kit, but a lot to get used to coming from the 60D. Tonnes of customization and there's a lot of functionality that I've never used before. I'll be shooting a lot in the next while so I'll keep you all posted. If anyone has questions just post here or drop me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 epiphony17

Well I bought the Eos R today. Got a good price with the 24-105mm RF lens. Lovely bit of kit, but a lot to get used to coming from the 60D. Tonnes of customization and there's a lot of functionality that I've never used before. I'll be shooting a lot in the next while so I'll keep you all posted. If anyone has questions just post here or drop me a PM.

How are you getting on with the EOS R? I'm shooting on an 80D at the minute and saving up for a switch in the January Sales. Torn between the Sony A7iii and possibly Canon EOSR or maybe the 5d or 6d. Only thing pushing me away from full frame Canon is the size of the cameras, I find it hard to lug around the 80D on trips as is.

How is the EOSR managing in low light? How far can you push the ISO? I think I want to do a tonne of late night/concert style photography so think the Sony might just be unbeatable in low light but I'm for unknown reason so attached to the Canon brand. Switching makes me nervous.

epiphony17 wrote: »
    How are you getting on with the EOS R? I'm shooting on an 80D at the minute and saving up for a switch in the January Sales. Torn between the Sony A7iii and possibly Canon EOSR or maybe the 5d or 6d. Only thing pushing me away from full frame Canon is the size of the cameras, I find it hard to lug around the 80D on trips as is.

How is the EOSR managing in low light? How far can you push the ISO? I think I want to do a tonne of late night/concert style photography so think the Sony might just be unbeatable in low light but I'm for unknown reason so attached to the Canon brand. Switching makes me nervous.

Honestly, I haven't had the camera long enough to do any low light photography. But there are plenty of reviews and sample images online that cover that aspect. Almost identical to a Canon 5D iv, so all in all pretty good. Certainly for my usage the noise is not an issue. I would say that if low light/concert type photography is your thing then it is fast glass you need first and foremost.

It is worth keeping in mind that this is not a light camera. Coming from a 60D I would say they are pretty similar in weight. The R is a solid beast, and definitely not light. The kit lens is also a hefty thing. This is not a low weight travel companion imo. I'd definitely go and find one in a shop to hold.

I will come back to this thread in time when I've had more time to use it, dark evenings and busy weekends are making that a slow process. But give me a couple of weeks!

Advertisement