Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work,Customers and our information under GDPR

Options
  • 29-05-2018 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

Hi

I work in a call centre and GDPR has taken over, lots of people are annoyed both employees and customers.

Under the new rules our employer has states we must get customers date of birth among other details for verification which we usually done anyway, however they have advised that if a customer asks we must provide them with our full names and date of births as well.

In the last 2 working days since ive been asking customers for this information I have had 14 different customers ask me my full name and date of birth,pretty much in a narky way because i asked them first, i really do not feel comfertable providing these details, the department i work in deals with complaints and a lot of the customer are angry and in some cases make threats to us among other things, its part of the job which i deal with but with giving them this further info i feel could lead to problems.

Do i have to give customer my full name and DOB under new GDPR?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

sexmag wrote: »
    Do i have to give customer my full name and DOB under new GDPR?

Appsolutely not and I would 100% refuse to provide such information.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

however they have advised that if a customer asks we must provide them with our full names and date of births as well

This is the stupidest thing I have ever read.

Seriously. that's not how GDPR works.

Your employers are morons. Contact a solicitor because your employers are forcing you to give out your personal details which IS a breach of GDPR and you can actually make a complaint and receive compensation for these breaches.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why all of a sudden arenyou looking for your customers DoB?
    Do your need to verify if they are over 16 or something? Otherwise it sounds like it is contrary to the GDPR in that yoire collecting personal data that you have no need for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Do your need to verify if they are over 16 or something? Otherwise it sounds like it is contrary to the GDPR in that yoire collecting personal data that you have no need for.

Im sorry, my post may have not clarified but we always asked DOB anyway as its on our customers accounts.

Its just with new GDPR our script states we are collecting this information etc to cover ourselves but we already had it, however customers who are usually annoyed ask us for ours and my employeer said we give it to them

But i knew my gut feeling was right, i will bring this up

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'd guess it's to protect data already stored from being accessed; the question would be whether that's the most efficient (efficient isn't really the correct word, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment) manner of verifying identity. Either way, the suggestion that the call centre worker would (for some reason) have to give their date of birth is hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

This is the stupidest thing I have ever read.

Seriously. that's not how GDPR works.

Your employers are morons. Contact a solicitor because your employers are forcing you to give out your personal details which IS a breach of GDPR and you can actually make a complaint and receive compensation for these breaches.

Usually I think you're a bit harsh but talk about hitting the nail on the head. Almost spat out my coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Many call centre staff use 'stage names'. Adopt a stage date of birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Victor wrote: »
    Many call centre staff use 'stage names'. Adopt a stage date of birth.

This and ask for the customers written GDPR policy.

And find a another job not working for complete idiots.

Advertisement