Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with criminal matter

Options
  • 29-05-2018 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

just a few questions, pick and choose what you would like to answer.
    where to start.....
    when I was 18 I got into some trouble. I was soliciting with a transgender prostitiute, who attacked me and attempted to steal my wallet. in retaliation I hit him and took back my wallet. in the process I dropped my phone, and mistakenly in a panic picked up his phone as I left the room, leaving mine behind (they are same colour and brand of iPhone)

a month later I was arrested for robbery. I couldn't believe it. someone who attacked and attempted to Rob me had me arrested saying it was the other way around. granted they had injuries, but that was because I struck them 2/3 times and im a big guy.

I sat on bail for 6 months, and was arrested a second time for allegedly messaging the witness, which I didn't do. they didn't charge me with it, but instead used the messages, (where guilt was admitted) to add assault to my charge sheet.

7 months later here I am. im now 19, soon to be 20 and am heading for a trial soon. iv since been able to gather evidence to prove it wasn't me who sent the message, instead it was an ex girlfriend. but nothings happened. the gardai won't take my report, because I Belive they plan to use the argument that I sent the message against me in a trial. I don't see how this is fair. I went to Garda station to report it, was told they would call me when they are ready to take it, 4 weeks later nothing from them.

im starting to really consider pleading guilty because I don't know what to do. my barrister has told me this is actually quite a defendable case and they don't have much evidence against me, but my only problem is I may have to sit on bail for another 1 to 2 years, just to be found not guilty.

this wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have a job offer in America to coach at Florida State University, a huge job opportunity, which il miss if I can't travel.

so what im asking is this:

. what are my chances on having my passport returned to me while im on bail? im nearly 20, no previous arrests/convictions, come from a good family, have a job offer from abroad, have stuck to my bail conditions for 13 months so far, and am willing to add money to my bail if necessary

. should I plead guilty to have it all over with, or tough it out?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would shut up and not post such detailed information on the internet. Get these questions answered by your legal team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 barrrreilly

you think I haven't already done that? there response was its up to you, tough it out and you more than likely won't get a criminal record, plead guilty and get a criminal record but get on with your life now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'm open to correction but if you have a conviction you won't get a visa for the US, so there goes your dream job. Better to fight it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

the gardai won't take my report, because I Belive they plan to use the argument that I sent the message against me in a trial

The guards don't want to know because they've already sent the evidence in ages ago, and the DPP have determined you should face a trial. You will have the opportunity to defend yourself in the trial. The prosecutor will present the evidence against you. Your barrister will present your defence.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    As you have a legal team who are preparing for your trial there is no point in seeking opinions here.
    Good luck
    Thread closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement