Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dcking

Options
  • 28-05-2018 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi all,looking for some opinions here.
    Im looking to get some decking put down with old decking removed and taken away.
    Area is roughly 16ft x 3ft and got a quote of 1,100 euro and was wondering if anybody has any idea if this is about average for such a job?thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Get 2 other quotes and then you'll know.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ddub11

Del2005 wrote: »
    Get 2 other quotes and then you'll know.
    Been trying to get quotes and im struggling.
    Went on tradesman and only got one reply,adverts none.
    Seems people dont need the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,027 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Location.

Lumen wrote: »
    Location.
    Balgriffin

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Is he just replacing the boards? is the the sub base being replaced?
    Is he supplying materials? If so... did you spec the boards? If so what type?

cheapest ones will cover that area for 200 (and that's being very conservative! - you'd prob get them delivered and all for that)

Either way, bit much IMO - he should knock that out in a day.

But sounds like you have no options... But since this is the DIY forum would you not have a go at doing it yourself?
    Would be the ideal starter job for a novice - especially if the sub base is in good nick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,289 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

ddub11 wrote: »
    Balgriffin

Abbey woods in baldoyle do v nice hardwood decking....for a diy job: use stainless steel screws and pre-drill the sub base so as you wont shear the ss screws which are quite soft, also counter sink the holes in the decking, which will be along the ridges, not the valleys :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Is he just replacing the boards? is the the sub base being replaced?
    Is he supplying materials? If so... did you spec the boards? If so what type?

cheapest ones will cover that area for 200 (and that's being very conservative! - you'd prob get them delivered and all for that)

Either way, bit much IMO - he should knock that out in a day.

But sounds like you have no options... But since this is the DIY forum would you not have a go at doing it yourself?
    Would be the ideal starter job for a novice - especially if the sub base is in good nick.
    He,s replacing the boards and base and supplying materials and disposing of old material.
    DIY is not my thing i put it on this forum simply because i wasnt sure which was the correct one,sorry if i put it on the wrong forum.

sorry if i put it on the wrong forum.

I wasn't complaining :) - just seeing if it was something you would consider.

But in that case....If I were you I'd keep trying to get more quotes.

Hi guys.

The guy came to replace the old decking and when he removed it there were puddles of stagnant water under it.

He said that water should be running into the drain but its not and if he puts new decking down the stuff will rot within 12 months.

I have emailed the managment co and told them my problem and await a reply.

Does anyone know who is responsible for this issue?

I feel there is an issue with balcony (not draining the way it should)and as a result the management need to get it repaired and compensate me for the damage caused to my old decking as a result of this fault.

Or can i put in an insurance claim?

The management co made it clear to me that i do not own the balcony(no problem with that i understand how that works)so in my opinion it is therefore not my responsibility , but is it up to the management co to sort this issue? Thanks.

but is it up to the management co to sort this issue? Thanks.
    Cant speak for the set up there - if they say you dont own it well maybe they are responsible...

Didn't realise it was an a balcony you were decking...
    A development in the news last week in tallaght/firhouse were told not to use their balconies while an investigation is carried out, sounded like something similar to your situation.

• Advertisement

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Cant speak for the set up there - if they say you dont own it well maybe they are responsible...

Didn't realise it was an a balcony you were decking...
    A development in the news last week in tallaght/firhouse were told not to use their balconies while an investigation is carried out, sounded like something similar to your situation.
    Think they were talking about wooden balconies,mine is concrete.

Ok guys looking for advice here,

Guy came to do my decking on my balcony and when he took up the old decking which was rotten he found pools of stagnant water under neath.

Turns out the balcony which is concrete was not levelled correctly and the water was not draining off the way its supposed and as a result the water caused the decking to rot.

The management co had sent out an engineer to have a look and he said the balcony is wrong and the decking never stood a chance.

So here,s my problem the way i see it the decking was down when i bought the apartment and its is my decking (while the balcony is not mine hence managmant co are paying to have the balcony skimmed) and i feel as the decking was ruined by stagnant water on a faulty balcony( that the management co are responsible for )then they should be paying for the new decking.

If the balcony was not faulty i would still have perfect decking but as a result of this fault my decking was ruined.

The management co say they will not be paying,and i feel this is wrong.
    Thinking of small claims court or insurance and any advice or help regardless of opinion would be really appreciated.
    Thanks.

Advertisement