Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car immoboliser - Autowatch Ghost

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have an auto watch anti hijack system. Very solidly made, no flashy bells and whistles just is what it is. IIRC The company is or was started in South Africa where car crime is high, so that's a testing environment. I also like they're trying new things as most car alarm makers haven't progressed much beyond the 1990's in their tech. Maybe added CanBus, fancier(and more expensive) remotes and phone connectivity, but that's about it. The basic tech remains the same. This includes much vaunted names like Clifford. A brand new one is about the same tech as a ten or fifteen year old one. So kudos to Autowatch on that score. Yeah, looks like a pretty nice bit of kit to me. The scum won't be expecting anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

However, we did not settle there! In order to make extreme security also be hassle free, we have created an iPhone application that connects to your car and allows you to get in and drive without having to enter the PIN code. This iPhone pairing allows a single, authorised, connection with a secret pairing code that is unique to every Ghost and communication between the Ghost and the iPhone is encrypted. All you have to do is pair your iPhone with your Ghost, leave the Autowatch Ghost application running in the background with Bluetooth enabled and you can drive conveniently and securely.

.......am I missing something here?

Sounds like they made a very nice and safe system....and then made it so 'user friendly' that all a potential thief needs to completely bypass the whole thing is your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

wexie wrote: »
    .......am I missing something here?

Sounds like they made a very nice and safe system....and then made it so 'user friendly' that all a potential thief needs to completely bypass the whole thing is your phone?

provided you have tracking turned on on your phone and if the car can be turned off remotely then that might help even more.

Advertisement