Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probate question

Options
  • 28-05-2018 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

It's about probate is it better to do it yourself or get a solicitor, which way is quicker, how much roughly does it cost, and who would be best solicitor if needed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

I enquired about this subject a few weeks ago but didn't get much advice. I was not looking for legal advice as thats not allowed, just a list of things I can do myself to keep the inevitable solicitors bill down. Didn't get much response.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Would you do denistry yourself?

Would you wire your own house?

Could you do it yourself- you could try. It would cost you much more money in lost time, returned forms, unpaid taxes and interest, and ultimately admitting defeat and paying a solicitor three times as much to fix your mess than it would have in the first place.

I see a LOT of consultation with people that ty and DIY law and have made a mess of it. You are not paying for information. You are paying for experience.

Cost depends on the complexity of the will and the assets in the estate. Land transfers may be required.

The best solicitor is one with experience in this area. Obviously recommendations cannot be given here.

Fizzy Duck wrote: »
    It's about probate is it better to do it yourself or get a solicitor, which way is quicker, how much roughly does it cost, and who would be best solicitor if needed?

It all depends on the Will and the size of the Estate. Any more than 2 beneficiaries and a solicitor is the best way. They usually charge a percentage of the Estate. The Solicitor who drew up the Will might be best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

It all depends on the Will and the size of the Estate. Any more than 2 beneficiaries and a solicitor is the best way. They usually charge a percentage of the Estate. The Solicitor who drew up the Will might be best.

Thanks good to know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I did it myself. Would recommend if there likely to be no disputes. It's basically all about form filling and gathering paperwork.

The probate officer in Galway was very helpful to be fair. Give your probate office a ring and take it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Go to a number of solicitors and get a quote for the work. If it's straight forward and a large estate a % can be well in excess

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

Start with this
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/death/the_deceaseds_estate/dealing_with_the_deceaseds_estate.html

If you are fit to fill in forms - lots of forms - then you can do it yourself.

Even if you have a solicitor doing it you would probably still have to find/provide most of the information yourself so they can fill in the forms.

It also deals with transferring land - which the executor can do without a solicitor also (but I'm not sure about houses).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Mooooo wrote:
    Go to a number of solicitors and get a quote for the work. If it's straight forward and a large estate a % can be well in excess

Do this. Our family used the solicitor that drew up the will. We stupidly gave them instructions without asking for a quote and got royally screwed. It was a straight forward cash and family home left to the surviving spouse. Mod deletion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My solicitor did probate for us. Normally charged a percentage but cut the bill in half.
    She was a family friend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If it's a straight forward will, do it yourself op, l did it for my father's will , saved € 23000 plus expenses, time wise it took about two days including a visit to the probate office and Dublin Castle. I priced 3 solicitors and they all wanted 3% plus expenses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Probate office will give you great help. Make an appointment to speak to an officer in probate office and then decide.
    As above advice I would recommend you do it yourself if there are no sticky complications.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If it's a straight forward will, do it yourself op, l did it for my father's will , saved € 23000 plus expenses, time wise it took about two days including a visit to the probate office and Dublin Castle. I priced 3 solicitors and they all wanted 3% plus expenses

That is some hourly rate when you look at it like in those terms

Advertisement