Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Water in Cold Tap

Options
  • 27-05-2018 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Hi I was hoping for some advice. The water pressure in my apartment has been very bad for the last couple of months, and quite bad prior to that. I contacted the management company about it, but they have not replied. I spoke to a neighbour of mine who said she had a similar problem, but she got a plumber in and he fiddled with something and she has been in business since.

This evening my cold tap has stopped giving out anything at all. Just completely kaput. Hot tap is working as well as ever, but that's probably coming from my tank, so I still have enough to make tea, but probably not for long.

I've attached a photo of what's going on in my hot press, but I can't diagnose any issue. I'm guessing the black hand set to zero is the problem, but.. what do I do about it?

Thanks

20180527_195919.jpg

20180527_195926.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

sugarman wrote: »
    Are you sure the water isn't just gone in your area?

Hi thanks for the reply. I don't think it's a problem beyond my apartment. Dublin 8

I just had a read of an old apartment complex google groups thread that suggests that if I remove a valve and clear out some crud, that the water pressure will be back to normal, or there's also a possibility that I will need to get the valve replaced.

I'm guessing these are things that are best left up to a plumber, or could I take instruction and sort it myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

The dial looks like a water pressure gauge so no surprise it's reading zero if the water supply is off. I'd knock on a few doors and ask neighbours whether their supplies have also gone off this evening. That will tell you whether the problem is within your flat only or if it is affecting multiple properties - in which case then I'd assume the management company are responsible so telephone them as soon as possible.

EDIT: If you're not sure that the hot water tank is being refilled as you drain water from it, make sure the immersion switch is off, I expect you could damage the element.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Yillan wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the reply. I don't think it's a problem beyond my apartment. Dublin 8

I just had a read of an old apartment complex google groups thread that suggests that if I remove a valve and clear out some crud, that the water pressure will be back to normal, or there's also a possibility that I will need to get the valve replaced.

I'm guessing these are things that are best left up to a plumber, or could I take instruction and sort it myself?
    It's an issue for the landlord to resolve

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

shaunr68 wrote: »
    The dial looks like a water pressure gauge so no surprise it's reading zero if the water supply is off. I'd knock on a few doors and ask neighbours whether their supplies have also gone off this evening. That will tell you whether the problem is within your flat only or if it is affecting multiple properties - in which case then I'd assume the management company are responsible so telephone them as soon as possible.

EDIT: If you're not sure that the hot water tank is being refilled as you drain water from it, make sure the immersion switch is off, I expect you could damage the element.

Thanks for the advice. Immersion off!

I contacted Irish water today. There is no problem in the area and my neighbours have no problems at present. My management company are saying there's no problem with the pumps and so it must be a problem with some sort of a mixing pipe or a blocked pipe or something.

Any other ideas or will i just go ahead and call a plumber?

Advertisement