Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDi (08-11)

Options
  • 27-05-2018 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

So, I'm looking at buying a (new to me) car. I was originally looking at a Seat Leon 1.9TDI (08-09) but from reading on here the reviews are saying to steer clear due to the BXE engine. I'm unsure whether that engine was in all Leon's of that year though.

So I'm now looking at a 08-11 i30 or Ceed, but definitely have my eyes more so on the Kia.

I'm hearing/ reading they're extremely reliable and that the 1.6 diesel is an impressive engine but I have a few questions. I test drove the i30 (10), which was nice but again the Kia catches my eye more but in regards to the car.. (Kia)

Are they truly as reliable as people say?

Are parts/ servicing OTT price wise? I'm currently a Toyota owner and parts were generally quite expensive for it...

Is it comfortable? As I've heard people say it's quite a firm suspension..

Is it economical, examples of real world figures please?

Also, I know there's a 115 and a 89bhp version, which year was the 6spd introduced and how would I know which version it is?

The i30 I tested was the 90hp version, it wasn't bad.. But I'd like a 6th gear with a bit more power... Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Think the 6 speed was introduced around 2009 when they got stop/start.

The engines are very reliable but the clutches can give trouble around 120000 miles.

We have one in the family the last 6 years, and apart from the clutch issue it’s been very good. Where it has gotten expensive is in suspension components, which are much more expensive than on the likes of a Toyota if you go with genuine Hyundai stuff as we did because the aftermarket doesn’t cater for Kia/Hyundai as much as they do for the likes of VW. All in all though they’re not heavy on maintenance.

I’d go with an earlier one as they don’t have DMF or DPF.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DustPan12

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Think the 6 speed was introduced around 2009 when they got stop/start.

The engines are very reliable but the clutches can give trouble around 120000 miles.

We have one in the family the last 6 years, and apart from the clutch issue it’s been very good. Where it has gotten expensive is in suspension components, which are much more expensive than on the likes of a Toyota if you go with genuine Hyundai stuff as we did because the aftermarket doesn’t cater for Kia/Hyundai as much as they do for the likes of VW. All in all though they’re not heavy on maintenance.

I’d go with an earlier one as they don’t have DMF or DPF.

Thanks a lot for the response Colm. I've been searching boards daily for info and thought I'd sign up today and ask exactly what I wanted to know.

I currently drive a 03 Corolla, the engine and clutch work like a treat but wear and tear on the car is starting to show and the parts haven't been cheap.

So aside from the clutch, there isn't any other 'major' issues? And aside from suspension, are parts generally decently priced such as brakes, discs etc.

I really like the facelift model, did the 09/10 have DMF/DPF's?

From what I've read they seem to be one of the most reliable diesels on the market...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

As far as I know the 6 speeds usually have a DMF and DPF but to be fair, neither seem to be troublesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

I would love to know what parts and how much were so expensive for a 03 corolla??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Two close relatives have two a 2010 and 2011. One has been relatively trouble free but the other one has had turbo,timing chain and headgasket all replaced so far

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Parts are pricey I'm told.

Advertisement