Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesels benefiting from a long run - fact or myth?

Options
  • 27-05-2018 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭

I just bought a turbo diesel. A couple of people have said that I should give a good blast down the motorway to "clear the pipes". Fact or myth ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

What year/make/model? If it's a modern diesel with a DPF and the majority of it's journeys are short,urban based drives then a frequent run on a motorway wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Its so that the DPF reaches a high enough temperature to burn off the soot otherwise it will get clogged up. So every couple of weeks you'd want to be running it for long enough to reach that temperature;. Doesn't have to be a motorway 80mph but like a 20 minute journey on main roads or something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Discodog wrote: »
    I just bought a turbo diesel. A couple of people have said that I should give a good blast down the motorway to "clear the pipes". Fact or myth ?

If you have to go out of your way to use a diesel car as it was originally intended to be used then you have bought the wrong type of car to suit your usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

95%+ of diesel made since 08 have dpf filters. These need to be frequently driven on motorways to keep the dpf filter clear

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

bazz26 wrote: »
    If you have to go out of your way to use a diesel car as it was originally intended to be used then you have bought the wrong type of car to suit your usage.

It's like getting a puppy. Seems like a good idea at the time until you keep having to bring it for walks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It's like getting a puppy. Seems like a good idea at the time until you keep having to bring it for walks.

I love waking my dogs twice a day & I have bought the perfect car for my usage. It's an X Trail & fortunately doesn't have a DPF 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I love waking my dogs twice a day & I have bought the perfect car for my usage. It's an X Trail & fortunately doesn't have a DPF 2007.

Sleepy dogs?

eeguy wrote: »
    Sleepy dogs?

Yes I just believe in caring for them properly. A good walk before I go to work leaves them happy to snooze.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The DPF really isn't the only issue but it does depend on the driving you do, if it's mainly town driving or short trips the engine will suffer regardless of not having a DPF, if you are even doing 20-30 minutes on secondary roads a day it could be fine.

IMO, and I'm not saying you are one of those people but people who rely on "taking their diesel for a good spin" once a week/ month are at nothing doing so. I'd also hate to have to keep setting a date in my diary to have to waste time driving my car somewhere in my free time in the vain hope it will stop it from breaking down.

The DPF really isn't the only issue but it does depend on the driving you do, if it's mainly town driving or short trips the engine will suffer regardless of not having a DPF, if you are even doing 20-30 minutes on secondary roads a day it could be fine.

IMO, and I'm not saying you are one of those people but people who rely on "taking their diesel for a good spin" once a week/ month are at nothing doing so. I'd also hate to have to keep setting a date in my diary to have to waste time driving my car somewhere in my free time in the vain hope it will stop it from breaking down.

I have a 40 min drive most days .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I have a 40 min drive most days .

Is that in traffic or moving? A diesel needs to be driving not sitting in traffic ie a 2 hour drive to complete 5km is no use to a diesel.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Is that in traffic or moving? A diesel needs to be driving not sitting in traffic ie a 2 hour drive to complete 5km is no use to a diesel.

Some traffic but lot of open road too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Some traffic but lot of open road too

Then you've no issues with the diesel.

But the fact that you started the thread means it's by luck not research.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Then you've no issues with the diesel.

But the fact that you started the thread means it's by luck not research.

When did Motors become the smart arse forum ? I asked because it's a common belief. I mentioned that people had mentioned it to me.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

OP answered his own question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Have a related problem. Bought an e90 320d recently, no dpf. Slight lumpiness on cold start, puff of smoke etc. Very low miler for the age and mostly a city car. Would it be worth giving it a dose of injector cleaner and an "italian tuneup"?

I'm abit dubious because I did it once with a diesel jeep and made a similar small problem into a big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Agricola wrote: »
    Have a related problem. Bought an e90 320d recently, no dpf. Slight lumpiness on cold start, puff of smoke etc. Very low miler for the age and mostly a city car. Would it be worth giving it a dose of injector cleaner and an "italian tuneup"?

I'm abit dubious because I did it once with a diesel jeep and made a similar small problem into a big one.

An italian tune up followed by some bg44k, (it needs time to soak ) and run a few tanks of topaz milesplus if it's available in your area, while doing some more Italian.

All that and regular oil changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

pa990 wrote: »
    An italian tune up followed by some bg44k, (it needs time to soak ) and run a few tanks of topaz milesplus if it's available in your area, while doing some more Italian.

All that and regular oil changes.

Another related question.

Anyone know which if any of the topaz in south dublin have miles plus pumps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

wally79 wrote: »

There's some in Dalkey, Ballyboden and the Westway station just off the Naas Road. Westway is by far the cheapest - in fact their miles plus is the same price as the regular 'miles' in some of the other South Dublin stations (the one in Dundrum being the prime example).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

wally79 wrote: »

These are the only stations that have it

Topaz Brennanstown
    Topaz Ballyboden
    Topaz Mulhuddart
    Topaz Dalkey
    Topaz Westview
    Topaz Junction 5 M9
    Topaz Castlecomer Road
    Topaz Waterford Rd
    Topaz Tivoli
    Topaz Eastgate
    Topaz Macroom